TILNEY ALL SAINTS is a scattered village and parish, 4 miles W.S.W. of Lynn, in Wisbech union, Freebridge Marshland hundred and petty sessional division, Lynn county court district and bancruptcy district, Tilney St. Lawrence polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn Marshland rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. The parish had 565 inhabitants in 1881, and has about 2600 acres of land, exclusive of 150 acres of the old bed of the river Ouse. Its rateable value is £5231.
Richard Bagge, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor of Tilney-cum-Islington. Horace Spelman Marriott, Esq., has also a large estate in the parish. The Rev. A.W. Durdin has also an estate here, and is lord of Kenwick Manor, besides which, some other manors extend into this parish.
The CHURCH, (All Saints) is a large freestone building of mixed architecture, comprising nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, and lofty square tower, surmounted by a spire. The roof has double hammer-beams, and is ornamented with carved figures of angels. The piscina, sedilia, and screen, bearing the date 1618 still remain. The Church was restored and reseated in 1865. There is a reredos under the east window, a stained glass window of two lights in the north aisle, and a good organ on the south side of the chancel. In the churchyard is part of a stone coffin, said to have contained the remains of Hickifric, or Hickathrift, the mythical giant, who expelled, with his wheel and axletree, the lordly invaders of the Smeeth and Fen, as noticed at page 21 [which is the Description of Norfolk]. In the tower are six musical bells, and the parish was once celebrated for excellent ringers.
The vicarage is consolidated with that of Tilney St. Lawrence, and the two benefices were valued in the King's Book at £30, and are now in the incumbency of the Rev. Samuel John Phillips, M.A., who has 57 acres of glebe and a good residence, mostly rebuilt in 1835. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £310 16s. a year to the vicar, and £900 to the appropriators. The advowson and the appropriation of the rectorial tithes are in Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, by a grant from Edward III., in the 32nd year of his reign. The church land is 20A. 36P., and is let by auction periodically.
The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1843.
The Parish Land, 17A. 2R. 27P., is let by auction periodically, and the rent is carried to the poor-rates and for educational purposes, in equal moieties. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of £2, left by Thomas Say, and 2A. of land left by an unknown donor, and let for £8 10s. per annum.
The National School was built in 1845, and is attended by about 90 children.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Geo. Minn's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched viâ King's Lynn at 5.30 p.m. week days, and 11.30 a.m. Sundays.
Those marked 1 should be addressed to Clenchwarton, 2 Terrington St. Clement, and 3 viâ Emmeth [sic] and Wisbech.
Allen Thomas parish clerk Alexander James bootmaker Baker Wm. Hy. farmer & landowner Barnes John potato merchant 1 Boltz C.F. station master Boon Samuel farmer Boon Samuel, jun. bootmaker 2 Briggs John farmer Dann William blacksmith Driver James bricklayer Failes Watson farmer & landowner Fayer Mrs Ann gardener & carrier Fendick Charles vict. Shore Boat, and farmer 2 Fryett Robert farmer Green Robert farmer Gregory Stephen farmer, auctioneer, surveyor, and estate agent; and Corn Exchange, Lynn. 2 Harrison Benjamin farmer Hendry Edmund baker 2 Holborn Thomas farmer and landowner, Little London 1 Johnson F. & B. farmers, Kenwick farm 1 Langley John farmer & landowner 2 Large John grocer and farmer, Little London 1 Linferd John farmer, Kenwick Minns Geo. grcr. frmr. & postmaster Minns William butcher 3 Mason Wm. frmr. Marshland Fen Neep Robt. farmer and landowner Nelson Valentine coal dealer Patterson John vict. Bell, carpenter and wheelwright Phillips Rev. Saml. J. M.A. vicar Rayner Mr T.G. Shepherdgate Robinson Leonard farmer 2 Savage Jonathan farmer 1 Walker Jas. jun. frmr. Kenwick hall Watling Fras. S. beerhs. & pig dealer Ward Thomas vict. Ship Inn 3 Wing James frmr. Marshland Fen Wyatt - schoolmaster
Copyright © Pat Newby.