TILNEY ALL SAINTS is a scattered village and parish, with several neat houses, 4 miles W.S.W. of Lynn, containing 441 inhabitants, and about 2,600 acres of land, exclusive of 150 acres of the old bed of the river Ouse. Edward Bagge, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor of Tinley-cum-Islington [sic], (see p.567 [which is the entry for Tilney cum Islington]. The Rev. J.H.S. Cary, of Farnham, Surrey, has also a large estate here; the heirs of the late Right Hon. W. Huskisson are lords of Berry manor; and Colonel Moorwood is lord of Kenwick manor; besides which, some other manors extend into this parish. Robert Pitcher, Esq., of Lynn, has an estate here.
The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, is a large free-stone building, with a square tower, surmounted by a spire. Its windows were formerly decorated with stained glass, all of which is gone. In the churchyard is part of a stone coffin, said to have contained the remains of Hickifric, or Hickathrift, the giant, who expelled, with his wheel and axletree, the lordly invaders of the Smeeth and Fen, as noticed at page 564 [which is the entry for Freebridge Marshland Hundred]. In the tower are six musical bells, and the parish is celebrated for excellent ringers.
The living is a vicarage, with that of Tilney St. Lawrence annexed to it, valued in the King's Book at £30, and in 1831 at £299. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Currie, M.A. The advowson, and appropriation of the rectorial tithes, are in Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, by a grant from Edward III., in the 32nd year of his reign. The glebe is 46 acres; and the Church Land 19 acres.
The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1843.
The Parish Land, 16A., is let for about £25 a year, which is carried to the poor-rates. The poor have a yearly rent charge of £2, left by Thomas Say; and 2A. of land left by an unknown donor, and let for £5 per annum.
John Aylmer, bishop of London, who died in 1579, was born here, in the house called Aylmer Hall.
Beckinton Elizabeth & Chas. vict., Shore Boat Bellamy John vict., Bell Carr Richard shopkeeper Cox Thomas gardener Currie Rev. Chas., M.A. vicar Fysh Thomas wheelwright Grummitt George shoemaker Jary Robert parish clerk Mallows John blacksmith Overton Benjamin Turner butcher Patterson James beer house Prior John wheelwright Sharrod William blacksmith Skinner J. shoemaker Softley William baker Tungate Thomas shopkeeper FARMERS. Benton Thomas Green Francis, Manor House Coe William Johnson Benj. Crabb John Johnson John Failes William Neep Francis Ghent James Snasdell Oliver Ghent Thomas Stanton William Kenwick Hall Thorpe George
Copyright © Pat Newby.