[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TIBENHAM, anciently Tybenham, is a large village and parish about two miles and a half N.W. of Tivetshall Station, 3½ miles E. of New Buckenham, and 14 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich. It is in Depwade union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 629 inhabitants in 1881, and has 3300 acres. Its rateable value is £4395 10s. The soil belongs to many owners, the largest of whom are Sir R. Jacob Buxton, Bart., M.P., and Mrs. M.L. Petre.
The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, chancel, south aisle with clerestory, noble square tower containing a fine peal of six bells, and surmounted by symbols of the four evangelists. At the east of the aisle is a chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, on the walls of which are three brasses: one to the memory of Robert Buxton, who died 1528; the other two to the memory of John Buxton, who died in 1572.
The rectorial tithes are taken by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The vicarage, which is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, was valued in the King's books at £7 6s. 8d., and is now in the incumbency of Rev. Thomas William Thompson, M.A. It was augmented in 1816 by a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty of £1000, and £380 given by a former vicar. These sums, except £118, were laid out in 1831 on the purchase of land, which, together with churchyard and a small allotment, constitute a glebe of 24A. 1R. 34P. The tithes were commuted in 1836 - rectorial for £782 5s., and vicarial for £327 1s. The vicarage house is an excellent residence, built by a grant from Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1880.
There are various memorials of the Buxton family in this church. In the south aisle is a quaint gallery, or pew, erected under a faculty granted by Archbishop Laud for the special use of the Buxtons. St. Nicholas chapel being assigned by him for the use of the servants of their household. In front of the pew are carved their armorial bearings. The family formerly occupied Channonz Hall in this parish, a fine mansion at that time, of which a handsome and interesting portion still remains. The pulpit and sounding board are elaborately carved and gilt. They are of the Jacoban [sic] period. The font is supported by eight round shafts.
The church land comprises 40A. 2R. 16P. in Winfarthing, and lets for £60 per annum. It was left originally by William Lynster, of Tybenham, whose will bears date 1493. This estate, as shown in ancient records discovered in 1882, at Shadwell Court, the present seat of the Buxton family, was seized by the Crown in 1585, granted to Mr. Robert Buxton, and by him vested in trustees, the rent to be applied 'ad suum proprium usum.' The Guildhall in Tybenham and yard adjoining, were a part of the same trust.
There are six almshouses for the poor; and a Clothing Club supported by the landowners. A Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1848; a handsome Board School and teacher's residence erected in 1876. The Schoolroom affords accommodation for 127 children.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Maria West's. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m. viâ Long Stratton. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at New Buckenham.
Aldous John frmr. Channonz hall Banham Robert bricklayer Barnard Miss Lois farmer & owner Beswick Henry schoolmaster Betts Alfred B. farmer, Hill farm Betts Mrs John Blyth Edward farmer Brewster Hy. farmer & machinist Bullwer John farmer and owner Catchpole Thomas farmer Colchester John farmer Coleman Joseph parish clerk Coleman William carpenter Cook James Edward farmer Dade Mrs Sarah vict. Boot Inn Dordery Edmund Bale farmer Dordery Henry farmer Everett George blacksmith Foreman E.C. vict. Grey Hound Inn Fox David general shopkeeper Gordon Geo. farmer; h Mundesley Gurling J.F. frmr. & miller, Manor hs Hardy Mrs Eliza farmer Lane Henry Bowers farmer Lester William farmer Manser George shoemaker Moss Simon coal dealer Mullinger Robert farmer Pearson John J. farmer, Old hall Pearson Mrs Lucy Ann farmer Read John farmer Ribbons Charles skin dealer Rudd Robert farmer Self Christopher farmer Self Joseph Mitson farmer Smith John farmer Smith Wiliam farmer Stimpson John farmer & drill-man Thompson Rev. T.W., M.A. vicar and surrogate Thrower John blacksmith Turner John farmer & machinist Turner Thomas farmer Turner William tailor Warren Walter pork butcher Watling Walter wheelwright Westgate George farmer West Mrs Maria shpkpr. & Post Office
See also the Tibenham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.