TIBBENHAM, a large village and parish, 3½ miles E. of New Buckenham, and 14 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has 749 inhabitants, and 3254 acres of land, belonging to many owners, the largest of whom is J. Petre, Esq., lord of all the manors, except Challon's Hall, the property of Sir R. J. Buxton.
J. Petre, Esq., is also lessee of the rectorial tithes, under the Bishop of Ely, the patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 6s. 8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Dixon. It was augmented in 1816 with a parliamentary grant of £1000, and £380 given by the late vicar. These sums, except £118, were laid out in the purchase of 22A. of land in 1831. The tithes have recently been commuted, the rectorial for £782. 10s., and the vicarial for £327. 5s. per annum.
The Church (All Saints,) has a square tower and six bells. The Church Land comprises 40A. 2R. 16P. in Winfarthing, let for £43; and 10A. in this parish let for £22. Two cottages, and 1A. 35P. of poor's land, were sold by the Overseers a few years ago. A Clothing Society, for the relief of the poor, is supported by the contributions of the landowners, and other parishioners.
The Methodists have a small chapel here; and near the church is a National School, built in 1831.
Adams Rev. K. curate Catchpole Robt. watch & clock mkr Cooke Wm. wheelwright Etheridge Wm. tailor Everett Wm. grocer, &c Feltham Wm. grocer and tailor Foreman Wm. Cooke vict. Greyhound Kirby Sarah National School Lant Joseph corn miller Sheldrake Wm. saddler West Henry grocer and tailor Blacksmiths. Shoemakers. Balls John Manser Wm. Cooper Edward Ringer John FARMERS * are Owners. *Bales Edmund & Simon Leach Sporle Blomfield Henry Lister Wm. Brewster Henry *Nudds Robert Chastney Wm. Pearson John & Joseph *Dodd James Pretty Robert Everett John Robinson Thos. Feltham Thos. Saunders Henry Fordham Jas. Self Chas. & Edw Garrard Thomas Sheldrake John *Gowen George Sparrow Jerh. Hardy Robert Warren Eliz. Holmes Fredk. Westgate Michl.
Copyright © Pat Newby.