THURNING is a parish of scattered houses, 6 miles S. of Holt, and 4½ miles N. of Reepham, in Aylsham union and county court district, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich bankruptcy district, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has 170 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1584 acres, and has a rateable value of £1902.
Lieutenant-Colonel W.E.G.L. Bulwer is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to James Gay, jun., J.P., Esq., who resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion, which has been much improved by its present and former owners, and is beautifully situated on a well-wooded slope towards the river Thurne, which bounds the parish on the south, and passes through an ornamental sheet of water in the grounds. Lord Hastings owns a small estate here.
Cray Mere Beck gives name to a hamlet on the north side of the parish.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) appears to have been built about the middle of the 14th century, and comprises nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, and square tower with one bell, but the chancel has long been in ruins. About 1833, the building was thoroughly restored and re-seated at a considerable cost.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7, has 23A. 2R. of glebe, a good residence, built in 1827, and a yearly rent-charge of £370, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and the Rev. John Fenwick, B.D., J.P., is the incumbent.
The School for the united district of Melton, Briston, and Thurning, is at Briston.
Post viâ East Dereham. Reepham and Foulsham are the nearest Money Order Offices.
BROWNSELL Robert farmer BROWNSELL William farmer BURTON George gamekeeper CLARK Alfred farmer; h Wood Dalling FAIRCLOTH Frederick farmer FENWICK Rev. John. B.D., J.P. rector GAY Jas. Esq. J.P. Thurning hall HALL Henry farmer HARVEY William farm bailiff POYNTON Edwd. blacksmith, Cray mere
Copyright © Pat Newby.