THORPE-NEXT-HADDISCOE, 5 miles E. of Loddon, and 10 miles S.W. of Yarmouth, in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Clavering hundred, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy court district, Toft Monks polling district of South Norfolk, and East Brooke and Norfolk archdeaconry and rural deanery. The rateable value is £1259 3s. Its parish had 93 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 816A. 1R. 27P. of land, mostly in the low marshes of the vale of the Waveney, and in the manors of Haddiscoe, Overhall, Netherhall, &c. Earl Onslow, H.S. Grimmer, Esq., Jonathan Farrow, Esq., Capt. Bacon, and Mr. Thomas James Bexfield own most of the soil.
The CHURCH (St. Matthias) is a small fabric, comprising nave, chancel (of red brick, and built in 1835), south porch and low round tower with two bells, and was restored in 1873, at a cost of about £200. Here are a double aumbry, and a Bible dated 1617.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3 6s. 8d., in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and Lord Calthorpe, alternately. The Rev. David Benjamin Morley is the incumbent. There is a good rectory house of white brick, built in 1844, at a cost of £800; a yearly rent-charge of £164 16s. 8d., awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes; and 14A. 3R. 34P. of glebe.
The Town Land was exchanged, at the enclosure in 1814, for a cottage and 2A. 2R. 19P., let for £6 10s., which is applied with the church rates.
POST via Norwich.
Beckham George M. farmer Bexfield Thomas James farmer, The Hall Morley Rev. David rector, The Rectory Benjamin, K.C.L. Rushmer James farmer Rushmer Robert sexton Shardalow Edward farmer, miller, overseer, and surveyor
Copyright © Pat Newby.