THORPE-NEXT-HADDISCOE, 5 miles E. of Loddon and 10 miles S.W. of Yarmouth, has in its parish 110 souls, and about 900 acres of land, mostly in the low marshes of the vale of the Waveney, and in the manors of Haddiscoe, Overhall, Netherhall, &c. Sir E. Bacon, Col. Onslow, and the Executors of G.J. Grimmer, own most of the soil.
The CHURCH (St. Matthias,) is a small edifice with a round tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £175, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. W. Barrow. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £152. 12s. 1d. per annum.
Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.
The Town Land was exchanged at the enclosure in 1814, for a cottage and 2A. 2R. 19P., let for £6. 10s., which is applied with the church rates.
Barrow Rev. W. rector Beck John corn miller Galer Wm. corn miller farmers Beckham Wm. Bexfield Joseph Blunderfield Thomas Shardalow Edw.
Copyright © Pat Newby.