THORPE HAMLET, a suburb on the east of Norwich, was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish March 9, 1852, from the civil parish of Old Thorpe, and is in the rural deanery of Blofield.
The church of St. Matthew, erected in 1851 upon land given by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, on the slope of a hill close by the river Wensum, is a structure of Kentish rag stone, in the Norman style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, south aisle and a south-west tower, with octagonal broach spire, containing one bell; the lower stage of the tower forms a porch: there are several stained windows, and the church is seated with open benches, affording 400 sittings, of which 200 are free. The register dates from the year 1852.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £310, with residence, built in 1863, in the gift of the rector of Thorpe St. Andrew, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Evan Charles Morgan M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge.
The church of St. Leonard, at the junction of Quebec and Plumstead roads, was erected in 1907 as a chapel of ease to St. Matthew's, and is a structure of brick, rough cast and wood, consisting of chancel, nave and two porches, and will seat 350 persons.
There is a mission room in Plumstead road in connection with the church, erected in 1877. A beautiful parish hall, capable of seating 500 persons, was erected some few years ago on a site between the church and the river.
The population in 1901 was 6,450.
Copyright © Pat Newby.