THELVETON, 2 miles E.N.E. of Diss, is a parish in Depwade union, Diss hundred, petty sessional division, and county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Diss polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 160 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1042 acres, and has a rateable value of £1444.
Thelveton Hall, a large Elizabethan mansion, with octagonal turrets, and spacious pleasure-grounds, is the occasional residence of Thomas Mann, Esq., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The CHURCH (St Andrew) was restored in 1872, and has a handsome font of the 15th century in fine preservation, decorated with figures of the apostles. It contains also a mural tablet and many memorials of the Havers family, the former owners of the parish. There is a fine reredos of alabaster and marble, a memorial of James Mann, Esq., and his wife.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, in patronage of the Lord Chancellor. Present rector, Rev. Robt. Anwyl Prichard, who was presented in 1863. The rectory house was built about 40 years ago, and added to in 1862. Glebe, 7 acres; tithe commutation, £290.
There is a good SCHOOL for 40 children, which, with the teacher's house adjoining, was built by T. Mann, Esq., in 1875, by whom the school is maintained.
POST from Scole, arrive at 7 a.m. Pillar Box cleared at 7 p.m., Sundays 11.40 a.m.
Carter Alfd. frm. blff. to Geo. Symonds Chilvers Enoch estate carpenter to T. Mann, Esq. Mann Mr Thomas Thelveton hall Nicholls Charles gamekpr. The Lodge Prichard Rev. Robert A. The Rectory Scargill Mrs Ellen schoolmistress Snelling George thatcher Symonds George farmer Talbot Robert parish clerk & sexton
Copyright © Pat Newby.