SWANTON ABBOTT, a large scattered village, 2½ miles S.S.W. of North Walsham, and 12 miles N. by E. of Norwich, is partly occupied by weavers, and has in its parish 501 souls, and 1103A.2R.8P., of which only 946 acres are assessable.
The Church (St. Michael,) is a neat structure, containing several handsome mural monuments to the Blake family, and a fine brass of the Rev. Stephen Multon, who died in 1477. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6.10s., is in the gift of the Rev. Wm. Jex Blake, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Evans, of Lyng. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £275 per annum.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1829.
Ann Steward, in 1732, left a pightle of land for the relief of poor widows. This land received an allotment at the enclosure, in 1824, and the whole is now let for £4.10s. The Poor's Allotments, awarded at the enclosure, comprise 25 acres, of which 3R.6P. is let for 30s., and the remainder is used for cutting fuel. The poor have also 15s. a year from a rood of land given by Andrew Garland, in 1710; and an annuity of 5s., left by Sarah Young, in 1732, out of Mr. Blake's estate. In 1732, Ann Steward left 5A.24P. of land for repairing the church, and it is now let for £8.5s. a year.
Eliz. Hunt, now living here, is 100 years of age.
Andrews J. corn miller Ashby Henry schoolmaster Austin Owen tailor and shopkeeper Blake William, Esq Claxton Robert corn miller Cork Wm. shoemaker Daniels Thomas grocer Dyball Robert joiner Goodson John glover Gosling John butcher Green John vict. Weavers' Arms Howard Wm. shoemaker Spooner Wm. schoolmaster Watts Christmas tailor Weldon Joseph bricklayer Wilson Julia shopkeeper FARMERS. (* are owners.) *Balls Wm. Bidwell Hy. J. Buck Thomas *Cadge Thomas Chapman Wm. Cooke Robert Cooper Daniel Ducker Richard Dyball Wm. Howard Wm. Jones Robert *Miller William Spink Robert Spinks Thomas Weldon Samuel *Wilson SamuelCARRIER.
Copyright © Pat Newby.