SWAINSTHORPE, 5½ miles S. by W. of Norwich, is a parish having a station on the Great Eastern Railway, and is in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy court district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Humbleyard rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry, and gives name to a petty sessional division. The parish had 291 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 821 acres of land. The rateable value is £1758. Henstead Union Workhouse, which is in this parish, had 91 paupers in 1881. F.W.K. Long, Esq., is owner of the soil, and lord of the two manors.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, and large porch. The tower contains three bells, and is round at the base and octagonal above. The windows of the aisle are lancet-shaped, but most of the others are of the Perpendicular period, though evidently of much later date than the walls. The porch has Early English windows, and contains a stoup. The roof of the church is supported by well-carved spandrels, and has eight figures of angels on the hammer-beams. The corbels are also carved. Here are marble tablets of the Dearsley and Rump families, and a brass to Captain Havers, who served Queen Elizabeth, and died in 1628.
F.W.K. Long, Esq., is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12 13s. 4d., and now at £627, with that of Newton Flotman annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry C. Long, B.A. The rectory-house is at Newton, and the tithes of Swainsthorpe have been commuted for £250 a year.
Here was formerly another church, dedicated to St. Mary, but it was demolished at the Reformation, and its site is now occupied by a small round building.
The poor have £2 a year left by John Pye, in 1697. The cottagers have pasturage on a common of 16 acres, by paying 7s. a year each for repairing the fences.
The National School is supported by subscription, and attended by about 50 children.
PETTY SESSIONS are now held at the Union every first and third Friday in the month for Swainsthorpe division (see page 35 [which is the entry for the Norfolk Petty Sessional Divisions, showing the parishes in this division]).
HENSTEAD UNION comprises 37 parishes, and extends over an area of 65 square miles, and had 10,636 inhabitants in 1881. The average annual expenditure of the 37 parishes from 1832 to 1835 was £10,231. In 1838 it was £8880; in 1839, £6931; in 1840, £5118; in 1842, £4784; and for the year ended Lady Day 1883, £4421. The UNION WORKHOUSE is at Swainsthorpe, in Humbleyard Hundred, and was built in 1835, at a cost of £6200, and was enlarged in 1858. It has room for 250 inmates. (For union officers, &c., see 'Additions and Corrections.')
The following enumeration of the parishes in the union shows their territorial extent, their population and inhabited houses in 1881, and present rateable value. [Note: inhabited houses were not included.]
POST OFFICE at Thos. Andrews'. Letters viâ Norwich and Stoke Holy Cross arrive at 7.30 a.m., despatched at 5 p.m. Mulbarton is nearest Money Order and Norwich nearest Telegraph Office.
Andrews Thomas shopkeeper and sub-postmaster Baxter Mrs Sarah butcher Brandford Ezra farmer and victualler, Dun Cow Brown Anthony blacksmith Canham William Herbert stationmstr Carpenter Robert (C. & Williamson); h Fern hill Carpenter & brick and tile manufacturers, and Williamson corn and coal merchants and farmers, and at Wymondham Catchpole James wheelwright Godfrey John Chas. relieving officer and registrar Filbee of births, deaths, and marriages Mutimer George farmer, Rookery fm Mutimer George Hy. farmer, Hall fm Raven Benjamin farmer, Church fm Sandal Miss Catherine Mary schoolmistress Sanders Mrs Eliza matron of workho Sanders James Stephen master of workhouse and superintendent registrar of births, deaths & mariges [sic] Savory John William farmer Smith Charles shoemaker Swan Mrs Eliza Jane schoolmistress at workhouse Utting William shopkeeper Waller Enoch parish clerk for Swainsthorpe and Dunston; h Dunston
CARRIERS from Pulham and Stratton St. Mary pass through to Norwich on Mon., Wed., and Sat.
The expenditure of the union for the year ended Lady Day, 1883, was £4421. Elward [sic] Palgrave Simpson, Esq., of Norwich, is union clerk; chaplain, Rev. F. Cavell, of Swardeston; master of workhouse and superintendent registrar, James Stephens Sanders; matron, Mrs. Eliza Sanders; relieving officer and registrar of births and deaths for Henstead district, William Henry Lockwood, Poringland, near Norwich; relieving officer and registrar of births and deaths for Humbleyard district, John Charles F. Godfrey, Mulbarton, near Norwich; schoolmistress of workhouse, Mrs. Jane Swann. The union surgeons are - 1st district, T.W. Richardson; 2nd district, Robert I. Mills, both of Norwich; 3rd district, George Lowe, of Wymondham; 4th district, F.W. Merry (Shotesham, near Norwich).
Petty sessions for the Swainsthorpe division are held at the workhouse on the first and third Friday in each month at 11 a.m.; clerk to the magistrates, E.P. Simpson.
Copyright © Pat Newby.