SWAINSTHORPE, 5½ miles S. by W. of Norwich, has in its parish 785 acres of fertile land, and had 293 inhabitants in 1841, including 93 persons in Henstead Union Workhouse, which is already noticed at p.692 [which is the entry for Humbleyard Hundred].)
Robt. Fellowes and R.K. Long, Esqrs., are owners of the soil, and lords of the two manors. The latter is also patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £422, with that of Newton Flotman annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Long.
The CHURCH (St. Peter,) is a small fabric, with a tower, round at the base, and sexangular above, and containing three bells. Here was formerly another church, dedicated to St. Mary, but it was demolished at the Reformation, and its site is now occupied by a small round building. The tithes of Swainsthorpe have been commuted for £250 per annum.
The poor have £2 a year, left by John Pye, in 1697. The cottagers have pasturage on a common of 16A., by paying 7s. a year each for repairing the fences.
Banham James cooper and pump maker Bennett Benj. shoemaker Branford Ezra vict., Dun Cow Faulkner Thos. master of the Workhouse Fowler Mr. Robt. Gooch Rachel wheelwright and smith Scales Robert maltster Wenn Rev. Jas. W. curate farmers George Geo. Scales Wm. Turner Edw. Wickham Edw. Wickham Egester
Copyright © Pat Newby.