See Norfolk Parish Links
for more information about this parish.
Search Genuki Norfolk for a NAME or a PLACE or a TOPIC.
Sturston is about 7 miles N. of Thetford.
See also Starston.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church was dedicated to the Holy Cross, but it was in
ruins before 1845.
Nearby Churches of all denominations.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Farrow, Charles W.
- The Parish Registers of Norfolk: Stanford with Sturston
1699-1837, transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society,
monograph series no.22, 1987]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837
and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Sturston was in
Thetford Registration District.
Description and Travel
See Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel
Sturston is in Grimshoe hundred.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Thetford Registration District, 1836
- Modern and Historical Maps
- Maps of the parish and nearby places.
In 1942 the Stanford Training Area (Stanta) was established, and the
villages of Buckenham Tofts, Langford, Stanford, Sturston, Tottington
and West Tofts were evacuated.
- Roll of Honour
- World War 1.
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the
10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there
were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures
above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.