Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Stow Bedon

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

STOW-BEDON is a parish, 4 miles S. from Watton, and 7 miles from Attleborough, on the Thetford and Watton Railway, in Wayland union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Breccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.

It has a rateable value of £1971, and in 1881 contained 324 inhabitants, and comprised 1692 acres. R.T. Gurdon, Esq., M.P. (who is lord of the manor), G.S. Corley, Esq., Lord Walsingham, Sir E.C. Kerrison, Bart., and G.T. West, Esq., are the principal landowners.

The CHURCH (St. Botolph) is a small edifice in the Early English style, comprising nave, chancel, vestry, and bell turret; and containing an elegantly carved rood screen, a reredos of Caen stone, a font of Portland stone, communion rails of brass, a harmonium, given by the rector, carved stalls in the chancel, and good open benches in the nave. In the churchyard are three ancient tombstones ornamented with floriated crosses.

The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4 19s. 4d., was augmented in 1714 with £200, given by Mr. James Smith, and in 1718 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. It is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Daniel Race Godfrey, M.A., who has 14 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £335, and a good residence, built in 1849 and 1852, at a cost of £1200.

Stow Mere, a large sheet of water, covering about 25 acres, is the property of the lord of the manor.

The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, built in 1844.

A SCHOOL BOARD was formed on April 4, 1877, and consists of H. Stelbargs, Esq. (chairman), Messrs. George S. Corley, John Osborn, T.C. Littleproud, and T. Lait. Mr. H.F. Grigson, Watton, is clerk.

The Fuel Allotment, 28A. 1R. of sterile land, was awarded at the enclosure in 1814, and is let for £10 10s. The poor have also the dividends of £51 5s. 8d., three and a half per cent. consols, left by Rebecca Ray, and given in bread on Sundays 'to the poor in church.'

POST OFFICE at Mr. Arthur Harvey's. Letters from Attleborough arrive at 8.30 a.m., despatched at 6 p.m., and Sundays at 10.30 p.m. Wall Box closes at 5.30 p.m., and Sundays at 10.30 p.m. Hockham is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Adams        Thomas          farmer
	Childerhouse Robert          farmer
	Colly        Richard         vict. White Horse
	Colman       Thos. Banyard   corn, coal, and cake mert.;
	                               depôt, Railway station
	Corley       Geo. Smith      frmr. & landowner
	Corridge     Walter          farmer, Whews frm
	Dennis       John            farmer, Mere farm
	Drake        George          poultry dealer
	Drake        Philip          farmer
	Goddard      Mrs Julia A.    vict. Mill Inn
	Godfrey      Rev. Danl.
	               Race, M.A.    Rectory
	Grosholz     Mrs Agnes       The Cottage
	Harvey       Arthur          horse and general dealer, post office
	Howes        Mrs Mary        farmer, The Whews
	Knights      Solomon         farmer, Church frm
	Littleproud  Thomas          corn, coal, & coke merchant,
	                               depot & granaries, Railway statn.;
	                               h Waterloo farm, Caston
	Layt         Robert          pork butcher
	Mateham      William         beer house
	Osborn       James           shopkeeper and former [sic]
	Prewer       James           farmer
	Rout         Jacob           grocer and draper
	Webster      Wm.             shoemkr. & parish clerk
	Webster      Mrs Rebecca     laundress
	Wellingham   John Jph.       farmr. Hall frm
RAILWAY STATION - Samuel Jackson Rice, stationmaster


See also the Stow Bedon parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2007