[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
STOW-BARDOLPH, a small pleasant village, on the Lynn road, 2 miles N. by E. of Downham, has in its parish 1,046 inhabitants, and 5,695 acres, more than half of which is fen, but well cultivated, being drained and enclosed under acts passed in 1798 and 1802. About 2 miles W.N.W. of the village, is the hamlet of STOW-BRIDGE, on the river Ouse, where there is a FAIR for the sale of horses, cows, &c., on the Saturday after Whitsuntide.
Sir Thos. Hare, Bart., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manors, which were purchased in 1553, by his ancestor, Sir Nicholas Hare, who was lord keeper of the great seal, and one of the privy-counsel of Queen Mary. He resides at STOW HALL, a stately mansion, with agreeable gardens and an extensive park, built in 1589, at the cost of £40,000, by Nicholas Hare, Esq., who also erected a spacious dormitory, for the interment of himself and family, adjoining the CHURCH, (Holy Trinity,) which has a nave, chancel, and a low square tower, with five bells. Among the monuments to the Hare family, is an altar-tomb of white marble, on which lies the effigy of Sir Thos. Hare, in the habit of a Roman.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £400, with the rectory of Wimbotsham annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Clavering. Sir Thos. Hare is the patron, and also impropriator of the great tithes of this parish, which were commuted in 1845.
Here are six Almshouses, built by Sir Ralph Hare, Kt., who endowed them, in 1622, with 86A. 3R. of land, now let for £80 per annum; the whole of which, after the payment of incidental expenses, ought to be divided in money, coals, and cloathing [sic], among the six almspeople, who are generally poor widows, and are appointed by Sir Thos. Hare, the sole trustee. The Town Lands, 18A., are let for £29 10s. a year, which is carried to the overseers' accounts, but part of it ought to be dispensed in doles to the poor.
A little south of the church, is Pool House, an ancient building of flint and brick, supposed to have been a chapel or hermitage.
In the following Directory, those marked * are at Stow-Bridge.
Andrews Henry blacksmith * Barton William wheelwright * Beavis Eliz. victualler, Hare's Arms * Betts William surgeon Capon Robert vict., Hare's Arms Dashwood Rev. George Henry, M.A. curate, Vicarage Griggs J. butcher Hare Sir Thomas, Bart. Stow Hall * Harpley John blacksmith * Howlett J. shopkeeper * Howlett Robert carpenter * Lee Thomas corn & coal merchant Perry William joiner and builder * Pike William fellmonger * Reeve Thomas shopkeeper & miller Riches Henry coal merchant, &c. FARMERS. * Barton John Judd John * Beart Robert * Lalham Michl. * Bell John * Lee Richard Betts William * Mann Thomas * Bond John * Page Jno., Fras., * Brown James Richd., & Thos. Bush George * Rolfe Edward * Chaplin William * Rolfe William Cawdron Robert * Sedgley John * Danby Charles Sharpe William * Dawson Wm. Stanford Charles Frith Charles * Steward Wm. Green John * Storrey John * Griggs William Threadgill Wm. Harrison George Westwood J.T. * Hooton James * Whybro Wm. Hudson John Beer Houses. Tailors. * Bell Gulby * Gamble A. * Bell Thomas * Harpley Wm. * Bond Charles * Gore Thomas * Green John * Jackson Edw. * Lee Henry * Lenton John Shoemakers. Wheelwrights. * Gore Frederick * Lockwood John * Gore Thomas * Taylor T.W.
See also the Stow Bardolph parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.