Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Southburgh

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]

BURGH (SOUTH), or Southbergh, commonly called Barrow, is a parish of scattered houses, near the Blackwater rivulet, 3 miles N.W. by N. of Hingham, and 15 miles W. by S. of Norwich. It is in Mitford hundred, union, and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Hingham polling division of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese.

It had, in 1881, 322 inhabitants, living on 1205A.2R.6P. of land, of a rateable value of £1852.15s. The parish is divided into two manors, of which Robert T. Gurdon, Esq., M.P., and Major Richard Weyland, are lords and principal owners.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) was thoroughly restored and in part rebuilt on the old lines in 1878-82, at a cost of more than £5000. The old chancel dated from 1290, and the nave from 1320. During the restoration a capital and part of a column which had belonged to a building of the twelfth century were found built into one of the chancel walls. The tower and spire were erected as a memorial to the late Hon. Mrs. Brampton Gurdon, of Letton, to whose liberality the restoration was greatly due. This is commemorated by a brass let into the west wall of the tower.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5.13s.6d., and now at £249. It was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1795. R.T. Gurdon, Esq., M.P., is patron, and the Rev. T.P. Garnier, M.A., of Cranworth, incumbent.

The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1798, is 13A.2R.25P., let for £20.5s. The poor parishioners have also 5s. yearly from Mowting's charity.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Edward Rivett's, jun. Letters via Thetford. Delivery at 8.55 a.m., despatched at 4.30 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Shipdham.

	Barnard   Alfred        farmer, Church farm
	Barnard   Francis       farmer, Hall farm
	Barnard   William       farmer, Manor frm
	Bowen     William       farmer
	Cullyer   William       farmer
	Darby     Jas.          vict. & frmr. King's Head
	Durrant   -             farmer
	Eagling   John Daynes   farmer
	Eagling   Thomas        farmer, Willow frm
	Harrison  Robert        farmer; h Hingham
	Howard    Frederick     shoemaker
	Johnson   Ezekiel       farmer, Park farm
	Lake      Robt.         blacksmith; h Cranworth
	Middleton Michael       thatcher
	Milk      Ishmael       farmer
	Read      Francis       farmer & wheelwright
	Rivett    Edward, sen.  wheelwright
	Rivett    Edwd. jun     wheelwright, shopkeeper and parish clerk
	Rose      John Wilson   shoemaker
	Sculfer   Mrs. George   farmer
	Stebbings William E.    farmer
	Whiterod  Jph.          frmr.; & at Reymerstone

See also the Southburgh parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 1999