SOUTHBURGH, or Southbergh, commonly called Barrow, is a parish of scattered houses, near the Blackwater rivulet, 3 miles N.W. by N. of Hingham, and 15 miles W. by S. of Norwich; comprising 317 inhabitants, and 1211 acres of land, divided into two manors, of which Brampton Gurdon, Esq., M.P., and Major Richard Weyland, are lords and principal owners.
The Church (St. Andrew) is a small stone fabric in the early-English style, having a low pitched roof, and comprising nave, chancel, and south porch. It has lost its tower, and the two bells are now hung in a thatched shed at the west end, within a yard of the ground. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 13s. 6d., and now at £249. It was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1795. B. Gurdon, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Philip Gurdon, M.A., of Cranworth, incumbent.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1798, is 13A. 2R. 25P., let for £20. 5s. The poor parishioners have also 5s. yearly from Mowting's charity.
The chief residents are -
Rivett Edw., sen. wheelwright Rivett Edw., jun. shopkeeper Rose John Wm. shoemaker Sare Wm. tailor and victualler, King's Head farmers. Barnard Jno. Middleton Mountain Barnard Wm. Milk Ishmael Brasnett Matthew Osborn Wm. Eagling Edw. Read James Eagling John Sare Wm. Eagling Thomas Stebbing Wm. Howard Susan Webster Wm. Johnson Ezekial Wyer JohnPOST via Thetford.
Copyright © Pat Newby.