SOUTHBURGH, or Southbergh, commonly called Barrow, is a parish of scattered houses, near the Blackwater rivulet, 3 miles N.W. by N. of Hingham, and 15 miles W. by S. of Norwich; comprising 307 inhabitants and 1211 acres of land, divided into two manors, of which T.T. Gurdon and J. Weyland, Esqrs., are lords and principal owners.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) has lost its tower, and the two bells are now hung in a thatched shed at the west end, within a yard of the ground. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5.13s.6d., and in 1831 at £253. It was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1795. T.T. Gurdon, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Philip Gurdon incumbent.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1798, is 13A.2R.25P., let for £19. The poor parishioners have also 5s. yearly from Mowting's charity.
Bowen John bricklayer Copland Edward shopkeeper Howard John vict. King's Head Rivett Edward wheelwright Webster Thomas shoemaker FARMERS. Barnard Eliz. Johnson James Barton David Rope Robt. Manor house Brasnett Mattw. Russell Mary Eagling Edward Stebbing Henry Eagling John
Copyright © Pat Newby.