SNORING (LITTLE) is a pleasant village and parish, 3 miles E.N.E. of Fakenham, containing 293 souls, and 1,518A. of land. Lord Hastings owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (St. Andrew,) which is an interesting specimen of Saxon architecture, and has a round tower detached at the distance of eight feet from the west end. Here was a house of Lepers, founded in 1638. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, is consolidated with East Barsham, (see page 648.) The glebe is 59A. 3R.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1806, is 17A., on which the poor cut fuel. They also have two cottages and 8A. 3R. 5P. of land, let for £19, and derived from the bequests of John Chappell and other donors.
Adams Edward baker & shopr. Banyard John shoemaker Barnes Henry wheelwright [see note below] Bell Samuel blacksmith Nickalls Jarrett wheelwright [see note below] Shepherd Wm. corn miller Sheppard Rev. A.F., B.A. curate Tuck Wm. gent. Sutherland Wm. vict., Bell Tuddenham John shoemaker, and vict., Green Man farmers Barwick John Merrill Robt. Powell Nichs.
Copyright © Pat Newby.