Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Great Snoring

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Paul Beesley]

SNORING, (GREAT) a parish and considerable village, 2 miles S. of Walsingham, and 3½ miles N.E. by N. of Fakenham, contains about 1,600 acres of land, belonging to several proprietors, -- the largest of whom is John Dugmore, Esq., of Swaffham, the lord of the manor, in which the copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. The ancient lords were the Burgolyons, Sheltons, and Richardsons. It had 556 inhabitants, in 1841, including 81 in Walsingham Union Workhouse, which is already noticed at page 669 [See North Greenhoe Hundred].

The CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) has a fine tower with one bell, and formerly had a spire. It has some ancient stone stalls, and the effigies of Sir Richard Shelton and his lady, beautifully engraved in brass. The Sheltons built the rectory-house, which is a fine specimen of ornamental brickwork.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £24 has 36A. of glebe, and is consolidated with Thursford, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Cphr. Stannard, B.D., who is lord of a small manor, called Snorings, (fines certain.) The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £610 per annum; and the tithes were commuted in 1840.

The Church Land, 2A. 8P., with a cottage upon it, is let for £5 2s. In 1688, John Pearson, bishop of Chester, left for the poor £20, which was laid out with £20 left by the Rev. Robt. West, in 1676, in the purchase of land, now consisting of 6A. 3R 31P., let for £8 which is distributed in bread and coals. The poor have also the dividends of £209 18s. three per cent. Consols, purchased with £200 left by John Alvis, in 1823.

	  Archer      James        farm-bailiff
	  Archer      Robert       castrator
	  Bray        Benjamin     schoolmaster
	  Bushell     Jonas        machine maker
	  Claxton     Violet       vict., Three Tuns
	  Comer       William      shoemaker
	  Cook        David        wheelwright
	  Dunn        S.           tailor
	  Jackson     Christopher  bricklayer
	  Lack        Thomas       shoemaker and victualler, Unicorn
	  Plane       John         shoemaker and baker
	  Platten     Robert       master of Workhouse
	  Savage      Henry        shopkeeper
	  Southgate   Chas.        miller & millwrgt.
	  Stannard    Rev. Cphr.,
	                B.D.       Rectory

	     Blacksmiths.

	  Girdlestone Rt.
	  Granger     Charles
	  Loades      Jarrett Pond

	     FARMERS.
	*  are owners

	  Bradfield   Charles
	* Bray        William
	  Hall        James
	  Page        Christopher, Old Hall
	  Southgate   Samson
	  Southgate   Wm.
	* Ward        Edmund
	* Whistler    John
	  Wright      Robert

See also the Great Snoring parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2000