Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Snarehill

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pamela Littlefair]

SNAREHILL (GREAT and LITTLE), 1 mile E. of Thetford, formerly an extra-parochial estate, is now a parish in Thetford union, county court, and polling district of South Norfolk, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Guiltcross hundred, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.

It had 52 inhabitants in 1881, living on 837 acres, and has a rateable value of £837. It adjoins Thetford, and the bridge railway station for Bury St. Edmund's is situate in this parish, being just out of the borough. Great Snarehill comprises about 1666 acres of heath, and Little Snarehill 480 acres.

Snarehill Hall, a mansion in a beautiful park in Little Snarehill belonging to Sir R.J. Buxton, Bart., M.P., D.L., J.P., is occupied by Captain Bankes Tomlin as a shooting box. In the vicinity are twelve large tumuli, supposed to mark the site of the sanguinary battle between the Saxons and the Danes, in which Edmund the king and martyr lost his life, as noticed with Thetford. Mr. James Cronshey and Mr. W.H. Jillings farm the land.

Great and Little Snarehill are included in Thetford School Board district.

Post from Thetford.

	Cronshey James         farmer; h Thetford
	Tomlin   Capt. Bankes  The Hall

See also the Snarehill parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 1999