Copyright © Pat Newby.
SHROPHAM, which gives name to this Hundred, is a scattered village and parish, 5 miles N. by W. of East Harling, comprising 513 souls, and 2596 acres of land, lying in the three manors of Breccles-Parva, Pakenhams, and Bradcar Hall. Henry D'Esterre Hemsworth, Esq., of Shropham Hall, is lord of the first; and the trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, are lords of the other manors and also patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8.13s.9d., and in 1831, at £304. The Rev. J.B. Thompson is the incumbent. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.
In the village is a School, supported by subscription. The Fuel Allotment, 58A.2R.22P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1801, to all the parishioners not occupying above £10 per year, who cut turf upon it. The Town Lands comprise 35A.1R.39P., let for £34, which is carried to the poor-rates. The parish has also a cottage, occupied by paupers.
Hemsworth H.D., Esq. Hall Thorpe Rev.Wm.Smith,B.A. Curate Brame Wm. shopkeeper Clarke Samuel shopkeeper Gregory Thomas blacksmith Harvey James wheelwright Threadgill Jacob beer seller Corn millers Farmers Sayer Wm. Ames Robert Mann John Finch Joshua Mann John Newdick Charles
SHROPHAM, which gives name to this hundred, is a scattered village and parish 5 miles N. by W. of East Harling, 3 miles N. by W. from Eccles Road Station, in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Shropham hundred, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 433 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2678 acres, and has a rateable value of £3403.10s. The parish lies in the three manors of Breccles-Parva, Pakenhams, and Bradcar Hall. The trustees of H.T. Hemsworth are lords of the first, and the trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, are lords of the other manors, and also patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £8.13s.9d.
The Rev. William Robbins, M.A. is the incumbent, and has a good residence, built in 1851, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £277.10s. The CHURCH (St. Peter), a plain building, consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, and square tower containing five bells, was restored in 1867, and has 250 sittings. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.
The Fuel Allotment, 58A.2R.22P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1801, to all the parishioners not occupying above £10 a year, who formerly cut turf upon it, but the proceeds are now distributed annually to the poor in coal. The Town Lands comprise 35A.1R.39P., let for £55, which is carried to the poor rates. The parish has also two cottages, let under the same trust.
Post from Thetford arrives at 7.35 a.m. Wall Box at school cleared at 6.30 p.m. Hockham is the nearest Money Order Office, 2 miles; and Wretham Telegraph Office, 4 miles.
Allen George victualler, White Horse Barker John farmer, Grange farm Barker Wm. Redhead Edmd. Esq. Barrister-at-law, The Hall Barnard Henry brickmaker Dack Mrs. Sarah national schoolmistress Eke Evret vict. Three Horse Shoes, and blacksmith Finsham Isaac cattle dealer Goddard Edward farmer Gregory George blacksmith Hunt George Bricklayer and parish clerk Loughlin James grocer and draper Mann Fairman Joseph farmer, Manor house Moore Robert shoemaker Nobbs Miss Ann shopkeeper Robbins Rev. Wm. M.A. vicar Rose Mrs. C. draper and grocer Saunders George shoemaker Sayer John miller and farmer, Mill farm Sayer John junr. corn miller Warman Wm. farmer, Hockham lodge