Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Shouldham Thorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

SHOULDHAM-THORPE, anciently called Garbois-Thorpe, is a scattered village, on rising ground, nearly 5 miles N.E. of Downham, having in its parish 314 inhabitants, and 1,340 acres of land, of which Sir Thomas Hare is chief owner, and lord of the manor; and the rest belongs to Wm. Bagge, Esq., Mrs. Allen, and a few smaller owners.

About a mile N. of the village, is the small manor of FODDERSTON, or Foston Gap, anciently a separate parish, belonging to the abbot of Ely, but now the property of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and leased to Sir Thomas Hare, together with the tithes; but he is impropriator of the tithes of Shouldham-Thorpe, where the CHURCH, (Virgin Mary,) has a nave and chancel, but the tower fell down in 1724. The living is a curacy, consolidated with that of Shouldham.

The Fuel Allotment, 60A., was awarded in 1794. The poor cut turf upon it, and let the herbage for 7.

Directory:-

	Banyard     Jas.         brick-maker
	Brown       Jas.         pork butcher
	Benstead    Maria        shoemaker
	Butter      Wm. Newton   corn miller
	Carter      Wm.          vict., Gate
	Harrison    John         wheelwright
	Watson      John         shopkpr. and beer seller

	   farmers

	Brackenbury John (Exectrs. of)
	Gamble      Jno.
	Brown       Cornls. Jary,
	              and Jacob

See also the Shouldham Thorpe parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
July 2000