[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SHOTTESHAM, (LOW) 5 miles S. of Norwich, comprises the consolidated parishes of Shottesham St. Mary, St. Martin, and St. Botolph, and has 408 inhabitants, and 1,615 acres of land, exclusive of about 400A. in SHOTTESHAM PARK, the beautiful seat of Robt. Fellowes, Esq., lord of the manor, and owner of the soil. The park is well wooded, and extends down to the river Tas. The house is a handsome modern structure, built on the site of the ancient hall, which was long a seat of the D'Oyley family.
St. Mary's Church is a small edifice, in good repair; but St. Martin's and St. Botolph's have been in ruins several centuries. Their benefices were consolidated with Shottesham All Saints soon after the Reformation, as noticed above [ie with Shotesham All Saints].
Upwards of 1,000 acres were enclosed in 1781.
The poor have a share of the charities noticed above [ie with Shottesham All Saints], and the dividends of £60 three per cent. Stock, purchased with £50 left by Miss Ann Fellowes, in 1817. The Church Land, is 3A., let for £2 10s.
Fellowes Robt., sen., and jun., Esqrs. Shottesham Park Barnard Wm. miller Bateman Wm. land agent Raven William farmer Sayer Daniel farmer
See also the Shotesham St Mary parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.