[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SHOTESHAM-ALL-SAINTS, or High Shotesham, is a scattered village, with several good houses, 6 miles S. by E. of Norwich, and is in Henstead union and hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 379 inhabitants in 1881, and has a rateable value of £2374. It comprises 1523 acres of land, nearly all belonging to Robert Fellowes, Esq., the lord of the manor and impropriator of the tithes.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a neat building of Perpendicular architecture, comprising nave, chancel, north porch, and square tower with five bells. Part of the ancient screen remains, and here are tablets of the Neech, Bransby, and Cooper families.
The living is a vicarage, which has annexed to it the vicarages of Shotesham St. Mary and St. Botolph, and the rectory of St. Martin. The consolidated livings, valued in the King's Book at £16 13s. 4d., and now at £564 per annum, are in the patronage of Robert Fellowes, Esq., and in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Fellowes, M.A., who has a spacious and pleasant residence.
Here is a National School for the united parishes of High and Low Shotesham, built in 1876 by R. Fellowes, Esq., and attended by about 100 children.
The parishes of High and Low Shotesham send eight paupers to the Hospital at East Greenwich, founded by the Earl of Northampton, who was born here in 1539, and six persons from the same parishes receive 10s. a week from the same source.
Here is a Methodist Free Church built in 1879.
Each parish has £4 a year for the poor, left by Thomas Bransby in 1730. Elizabeth Bayspoole, in 1711, charged land here (belonging to the Rev. C.L. Bennett) with the yearly payment of £3, for schooling six poor children, and £4 12s. for the poor of this parish; and 20s. for the poor of Low Shotesham. Here are 2¼ acres of church land, and two cottages occupied by paupers. There are also 2¼ acres of church land, and two cottages occupied by journeymen.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Henry Kahler's. Letters delivered at 7 a.m., despatched at 5.15 p.m., viâ Norwich. Nearest Money Order Office at Brooke.
Boyce Geo. paintr. plumber & glazier Browne Henry land agent to R. Fellowes, Esq. Clarke Barnabas market gardener Cushion Mrs Caroline shopkeeper Cutts William farmer and victualler, Duke's Head Dunt Robert blacksmith Fennell George carrier Forder John shoemaker Hardesty Thomas farmer Hazell Mrs Harriet market gardener Heard George Hammond farmer Kahler Henry shopkeeper & postmstr Martins Geo. mrkt. grdnr. & beerhs Merry Francis Wm., M.R.C.S. surgn Parfitt Robert farmer & butcher Redgrave William farmer Sayer James vermin destroyer Webb Robert bricklayer White William carpenter & whlwrt White Mrs W. schoolmistress Whiting Samuel market gardener Wilson Philip, sen. market gardener Wilson Philip, jun. market gardener
CARRIER - George Fennell to Norwich, Wed. & Sat.
See also the Shotesham All Saints parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.