[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SHOTTESHAM-ALL-SAINTS, or HIGH SHOTTESHAM, is a neat scattered village, with several good houses, 6 miles S. by E. of Norwich, and has in its parish 557 souls, and 1,523 acres of land, nearly all belonging to Robt. Fellowes, Esq., the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, which has annexed to it the vicarages of Shottesham St. Mary and St. Botolph, and the rectory of St. Martin. The consolidated livings are valued in the King's Book at £16 13s. 4d., and are now in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Fellowes. Their annual value was not returned in 1831.
The parishes of High and Low Shottesham send eight paupers to the Hospital at East Greenwich, founded by the Earl of Northampton, who was born here in 1539. Each parish has £4 a year for the poor, left by Thomas Bransby, in 1730. Eliz. Bayspool, in 1711, charged land here (belonging to the Rev. C.L. Bennett,) with the yearly payment of £3, for schooling six poor children, and £4 12s. for the poor of this parish; and 20s. for the poor of Low Shottesham. Here are 2¼A. of church land, and two cottages occupied by paupers.
Cutts Mrs. blacksmith Fellowes Rev. Chas. Vicarage Lee John schoolmaster Merry Richd. surgeon Sheppard John vict., Crown Spalding Fras. maltster White Thos. carpenter farmers. Alpe Philip Castleton Elijah Huggins Wm., sen. & jun. Huggins Jas. Minns James Raven William
See also the Shotesham All Saints parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.