SHELTON, 6 miles N. of Harleston, and 12 miles S. by W. of Norwich, is a parish in Depwade union, petty sessional division, and hundred, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 142 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1292 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1644 15s.
The parish belongs to several proprietors, the largest of whom are C.R. Hawkins, Esq., owner of the Hall (a moated farmhouse with turrets); F.B. Frank, Esq., patron of the rectory; the Rev. Thomas Howes, lord of the manor; Osborn Springfield, Esq.; and Sir R. Shafto Adair.
The CHURCH (St. Mary the Virgin) is a handsome structure, in the Early Perpendicular style, and comprises nave with aisles, and west tower containing one bell. The nave is of red brick, and was built by Sir Ralph Shelton, knight, about A.D. 1480. The tower is of earlier date, and was part of the former church. Under the east window is a sacristy. The windows at the east end of the nave and the aisles are filled with exquisite ancient glass, depicting sacred scenes and various members of the Shelton family. Here are three altar-tombs, with the arms, very incorrectly painted, of the Shelton family, one of whom (the Sir Ralph mentioned above) built a grand hall on the hill close by. There is also a tomb containing effigies of Sir Robert Houghton, knight, his son, and two wives. It was neatly repaired in 1881, chairs taking the place of the high pews, which were falling into decay.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and now at £720, including that of Hardwich [sic] annexed to it, is in the incumbency of the Rev. C. Blomfield Smith. The glebe is 30 acres.
Two poor widows have a yearly rent of 20s., left by Danson Futter. The school is attended by about 45 children.
POST via Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Baxter Frederick James farmer Baxter William farmer Burgess Thos. carpenter, wheelwright, and blacksmith Cann David farmer Clarke Wm. shopkeeper & parish clerk Foulger George farmer Ling Abraham farmer Masterson Mrs shopkeeper Nobbs John farmer Sharman Robert farmer Thrower Cornelius farmer & owner Westgate Mrs Frances The Hall Youngs James farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.