SHELTON, 6 miles N. of Harleston, and 12 miles S. by W. of Norwich, has in its parish 215 souls, and 1292 acres of land, belonging to several proprietors, the largest of whom are John Morse, Esq., owner of the Hall, (a moated farm house, with turrets;) F. B. Frank, Esq., patron of the rectory; and the Rev. Thomas Howes, lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome structure, which was mostly rebuilt by the Shelton family, who were formerly seated here, and of whom here are many memorials, as well as a tomb of Sir Robert Houghton, kt., with effigies of himself, his son and three wives.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £525, with that of Hardwick annexed to it, is enjoyed by the Rev. Jeremiah Curtis [See Note 1].
The Glebe here is 52A. 10P., and the tithes have been commuted for £372. 7s. per annum. Two poor widows have a yearly rent of 20s. left by Danson Futter [See Note 2].
Curteis Rev. J. Rectory [See Note 1] Burgess Thomas wheelwright and smith Clarke Charles shopkeeper and shoemaker Rackham Wm. and Elijah shoemakers farmers Alden Wm. Cann Wm. Howlett Wm. Moore Richard and Robert Neslin Wm. Geo. Nobbs John Ward James and Sarah Westgate Samuel (Hall) Wilby James
Note 1: Note the different spellings.
Note 2: In the original, this is "Danson, Futter".
Copyright © Pat Newby.