SHELFANGER, 2½ miles N. of Diss, has in its parish 445 souls, and 1637 acres of land. The Duke of Norfolk owns part of the soil, and is lord of the manor (fines arbitrary,) and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, and in 1831, at £455. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. T.B. Morris, with 30A. of glebe. The Church (All Saints,) has a square tower and four bells.
Here is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1821. The Poor's Land, 3A., left by Roger Dacle [sic], in 1684, and 6A., purchased with £100 left by Sarah Franklin, in 1703, is let for £32.
Anness James grocer Crosby Thos. cooper Dodd Mrs. Ann Everett Fisher tailor Groom Thos. vict., Cross Keys Hammond John carpenter Howlett Joseph blacksmith Knights Sarah shopkeeper Peacock Mr. Obadiah Rout Samuel vict., Crown Shelverton J. wheelwright Ward Rev. George Baptist minister farmers Dodd Wm. Hart George Ellis Robert Macro Robert Ellis Richard Martin Robert Goodchild Arthur
Copyright © Pat Newby.