Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Sculthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright Juanita Hadwin]

SCULTHORPE is a large scattered village and parish, 2 miles N.W. of Fakenham, in the western division of the county, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Walsingham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 574 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2055 acres, and has a rateable value of 3779.

The parish for the most part belongs to Sir Willoughby Jones, Bart., lord of the manor, who resides at Cranmer Hall, a large red-brick mansion in a well-wooded park. Lord Hastings, J.S. Scott Chad, Esq., and others, own land here.

The CHURCH (St. Mary and All Saints) was built by St. Robert Knollys in the reign of Edward III., and has a remarkably well-proportioned tower of a still earlier date. The chancel, which had long been in ruins, was rebuilt in 1847 by the lord of the manor, as a memorial of his brother, the late Sir Laurence Jones, Bart., who was murdered by brigands in Turkey, in 1845, and whose remains were buried beneath it. The rest of the church was restored and enlarged and rebuilt in 1861 at the joint expense of the lord of the manor and the rector. It contains a very fine font of the Early-Norman period, several ancient brasses, and some beautiful stained glass.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at 16, is in the patronage of Sir Willoughby Jones, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. Herbert Walsingham Jones, M.A., J.P., Hon. Canon of Norwich Cathedral, who has a good residence, 71A. 21P. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of 550, awarded in 1831.

Here is a NATIONAL and INFANTS' SCHOOL, the former erected in 1840, attended by 100 children.

The Fuel Allotment, 30 acres, was awarded to the poor at the enclosure in 1830. Here is also an almshouse for four poor widows, erected in 1859 by Lady Jones, on the site of two cottages, which, with 5 acres of land, were left by Francis Barkham, in 1687, for the poor of the parish.

The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here.

POST from Fakenham. Post Office at Mrs. Mary Warner's. Pillar Letter-Box, cleared at 5.45 p.m.

	ALDHAM     Alfred           beerhouse
	BARNES     Thomas           beerhouse
	BIRD       Edward           blacksmith
	BLACKETT   James            engineer, iron & brass founder,
	                              agricultural implement manufacturer,
	                              waggon builder and wheelwright.
	                              Eagle Iron Works
	BONE       William          bootmaker
	CHALKER    Alfred           parish clk. & schlmstr
	ELLISON    John             baker
	GARROD     Wm.              farmer, Sculthorpe lodge
	GIBBON     Thomas           bootmaker
	GREEN      William Bishop   farmer
	HARRIS     Richard          farmer
	HORSLEY    Charles          miller and farmer, and Fakenham
	JONES      Rev. Herbert
	             Walsingham,
	             M.A. J.P.      Hon. Can. of Norwich, Rectory
	JONES      Sir Willoughby,
	             Bart.,
	             J.P. D.L.      Cranmer hall
	OLLEY      Frederick        farm bailiff
	OWEN       James            farmer
	SEWTER     William Park     grocer
	STARKE     Ezekiel          beerhouse
	TUCK       Robert           baker and grocer
	WARNER     Miss Alice       infant schlmstrss
	WARNER     Mrs Mary         grocer and postmistress
	WOODHOUSE  Robert           coal dealer

See also the Sculthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.

Copyright Pat Newby.
October 2002