[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SCOTTOW parish, on the banks of a rivulet, 5 miles S. by W. of North Walsham, and 2½ miles W. of Worstead, is in Aylsham union, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Coltishall polling district, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. The rateable value in 1881 was £4297 17s., gross estimated rental, £4728 15s. It had 430 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2120 acres of rich and well-cultivated land, mostly the property of Ina, Lady Durrant, lady of the manor and lessee of the rectory, who resides at Scottow Hall, a handsome cemented mansion, with extensive wings and a finely-wooded lawn, near a lake of 17 acres. About 100 acres belong to Rev. James White, of Sloley.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a fine edifice near the hall, comprising nave with aisles, chancel, south porch, and lofty tower with five bells. It was thoroughly restored by the late vicar and his friends in 1857, when the windows were almost entirely reglazed, a new oak pulpit with stone base was presented by Lord Nelson, the old Purbeck marble font was restored, new altar rails and choir seats were provided, and the chancel floor was raised one step. The organ was given by the late Sir Henry Josias Durrant in 1844, and stands in the north aisle, and a handsome oak lectern was given in the year 1876 by Lady Lamb. In the chancel are several mural monuments of the Durrant and Blake families.
The living, a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 13s. 6½d., and now at £246, was formerly consolidated with the rectory of Belaugh. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. John Tyrwhitt Walker, M.A., the present vicar, has here a good residence, and 17 acres of glebe. In 1839, the impropriate rectorial tithes of Scottow were commuted for £500, and the vicarial for £230 per annum; and the vicar has a yearly rent-charge of £16 out of the former.
At the enclosure in 1831, an allotment of 22A. 3R. 16P. was awarded to the poor; and here is also a public watering-place for cattle, containing 1R. 22P.
The parochial school, built in 1859 on land given by the late Sir H.J. Durrant, is a neat brick building, and is supported by subscription.
Here is an Oddfellows' Hall, built in 1860; has 170 members.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Thomas Bentham's. Letters, viâ Norwich, at 5.30 a.am., depart at 4.55 p.m.; and on Sundays 4.55 p.m. Coltishall is the nearest Money Order Office, Telegraph Office, and Railway Station.
Beck Wm. farmer, timber merchant, and hurdle maker Bentham Thos. postmaster & shoemkr Betts John Girling farmer & maltster Betts John Smith farmer & surveyor, The Laurels Betts William farm manager Bird John farmer; h Swanton Abbot Bird Robt. overseer & estate steward Dennis Charles shopkeeper Durrant Lady Alexandrina The Hall Emery James farmer, Manor farm Flowerday William shoemaker Frostick William gardener Gibbons W. farmer and victualler, Three Horse Shoes Inn Goodwins William carpenter, wheelwright & machinist & parish clerk Horrex Miss Ann schoolmistress Postle Robert gardener Rump Samuel blacksmith Stevenson Jas. frmr.; h Plumpstead Steward Charles John farmer and overseer, Rookery farm Tallowin Alfred farmer Walker Rev. John Tyrwhitt, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage Waterson Mr George Wells Thos. Wm. farmer, The Grange
See also the Scottow parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.