[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
SCOTTOW parish, on the banks of a rivulet, 5 miles S. by W. of North Walsham, and 2½ miles W. of Worstead, has 539 inhabitants, and 2104A. 2R. 24P. of land, mostly the property of Sir Thomas Henry Estridge Durrant, Bart., the lord of the manor and lessee of the rectory, who resides at Scottow Hall, a handsome cemented mansion, with two extensive wings and a finely wooded lawn, near a lake of 17A.
The Church (All Saints,) stands near the hall, and has a good organ, given by Sir T.H.E. Durrant, in 1844. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8. 13s. 6½d., and consolidated with the rectory of Belaugh. (See page 457 [which is the entry for Belaugh].) The Bishop of Norwich is patron and appropriator, and the incumbent has here a good residence and 17A. of glebe. In 1839, the impropriate rectorial tithes of Scottow were commuted for £500, and the vicarial for £230 per annum; and the vicar has a yearly rent-charge of £16 out of the former.
At the enclosure, in 1831, an allotment of 21A. 2R. 16P. was awarded to the poor. A cattle fair is held on Easter Tuesday, at the Horse Shoes Inn, near which is the Post Office, at John Seaman's, where the mail cart calls daily.
Durrant Sir T.H.E., Bart. Hall Balls Thomas wheelwright Bird Mary shopkeeper Christmas Wm. butcher Futter John bricklayer Hunt Thomas grocer and miller Kirk Stephen vict. Horse Shoes Lake John butler Lubbock Rev. John, M.A. vicar of Scottow, and rector of Belaugh Ross Thomas gardener Seagoe Stpn. smith [see note below] Seagoe Thos. tailor [see note below] Vincent Benjamin joiner FARMERS. Betts John Breese Stephen Colk John Harbord Robert Kirk Stephen Knights Robert Knights Thomas Reyner William Smith John Stocking Rhoda Shoemakers. Bird Robt. (and parish clerk) Flowerdew Jas. Jacobs Jacob Kemp John Seaman JohnCARRIER to Norwich, Saml. Reynolds, Sat.
See also the Scottow parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.