Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Scole

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

SCOLE, or Osmondiston, is a pleasant village and parish, on the north bank of the river Waveney, and upon the Norwich and Ipswich road, 2 miles to Diss station, 3 miles to Diss Market Place, 2 miles E. by S. of Diss. It is in Depwade union, Diss hundred, county court, and petty sessional division, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Diss polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.

It had 637 inhabitants in 1881, living on 820 acres, and has a rateable value of £2952. The parishes of Frenze and Thorpe Parva and Billingford are united with it for the support of the poor, and they contain together 1528 assessable acres, and 720 inhabitants. Scole belongs to several proprietors, but Sir Edward C. Kerrison, Bart., Oakley Park, is lord of the manor (fines arbitrary).

Scole Lodge, a handsome mansion, is the seat of Frederick Crawshay, Esq. The Shrubbery, another neat residence, is the seat of William Calverley Curteis, Esq., D.C.L., J.P. Scole Inn is a large brick building, adorned with imagery and carved work, and formerly noted for a very large sign, forming an arch across the road, containing a great number of large statues, and executed by Fairchild, in 1655, at a cost of £1057. Here was a round bed, big enough to hold 30 or 40 soldiers; but this and the costly sign were destroyed above 100 years ago.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, and square tower with one bell, and was restored and reseated in 1873, when a south porch and a new vestry were added at a total cost of £1200, raised by voluntary contributions. There is a piscina at the east end of the aisle.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, is in the gift of Sir E.E.C. Kerrison, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Page Roberts, M.A., who has a good residence, built in 1863, about 28 acres of glebe, at a commuted yearly rent-charge of £258 10s., awarded in lieu of tithes.

The National School, with residence attached, was built in 1853 by subscription, and was enlarged in 1875 at a cost of £300.

Here was a large flax mill, belonging to Messrs. Costerton & Nayler, who employed about 100 hands, but it has been closed. A fair for horses and toys was formerly held here on Easter Tuesday. Several flint and metal celts and many Roman coins have been found in this parish.

POST OFFICE, MONEY ORDER OFFICE, and SAVINGS BANK. George Scutts, postmaster. Mail carts to Bungay, Harleston, Eye, Attleborough, Diss, and Botesdale daily, and rural messengers to Dickleburgh, Tivetshall, Mellis, Hoxne, Brockdish, and Needham. There are two deliveries of letters daily at 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. Box closes at 10.5 a.m. and 9.15 p.m. for London, and at 10 p.m. for Bungay, Diss, Eye, and Harleston. Sundays (no day mail).

	Alston     Mrs Anne Maria
	Brigden    Edward Beecher     parochial schoolmaster
	Browning   William Benjamin   butcher; h Hoxne
	Button     William Frederick  agent to the Royal Assurance Co.
	                                Red house
	Cooper     Charles            farmer
	Costerton  Charles Fisher,    district auditor to the Local Government
	             Esq., J.P.         Board, Scole house
	Crawshay   Mr Wm. Fredk.      Scole lodge
	Cunliffe   Major-General      Sunnyside
	             George Gordon
	Curteis    William Calverley, The Shrubbery
	             Esq., LL.D., J.P.
	Debenham   Jonathan           wheelwright & carpenter
	Goodrich   George & Son       carpenters, builders, timber dealers,
	             (George)           steam saw mills, brick, tile, pipe
	                                & pottery manufacturers
	Green      Frank              victualler, King's Head
	Grimson    John Christmas     carpenter & victualler, Greyhound
	Harold     George             cabinet maker
	Harold     George             draper, hosier and milliner,
	                                Manchester house
	Harper     James              beerhouse
	Howells    Harry              basket maker
	Huggins    James              boot and shoemaker    [see note 3 below]
	Jackson    Mrs Amelia         grocer
	Jackson    Mrs Sophia         Oak villa
	Jackson    Wm.                grocer, draper & farmer
	Kahler     Hy. John           baker & confectner
	Knight     Robert             boot & shoemaker
	Ling       Sidney             plumber and victualler, White Hart
	Mallows    George             shoemaker
	Mutimer    Ephraim            farmer
	Pettitt    Alfred             grocer, farmer and osier merchant
	Pretty     George             builder
	Bainer     Sidney             carpenter             [see note 1 below]
	Read       Miss Emily         Scole villa
	Roberts    Rev. Frederick     The Rectory
	             Page, M.A.
	Roberts    Robert             grocer and shopkeeper [see note 2 below]
	Rogers     Henry              farmer
	Rose       Edgar              boot and shoemaker    [see note 3 below]
	Thrower    William            thatcher, and vermin destroyer
	Tucker     Rev. John Rule,    rector of Frenze
	             M.A.
	Wood       Mrs Eliza          grocer and shopkeeper [see note 2 below]
	Woodcock   John Frederick     blacksmith

CARRIERS to Norwich, Chenery from Diss Wed. & Sat.; Minns from Eye, Wed. & Sat.


Note 1:
    Bainer might be Rainer, as the names are in alphabetical order.
Note 2: In the original this is:
    Roberts Robert & Mrs Eliza Wood, grocers and shopkeepers
Note 3: In the original this is:
    Rose Edgar & James Huggins, boot and shoemakers
In the printed directory, this entry for Scole also contains that for Frenze.
See also the Scole parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby
May 2003