Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Scarning

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

SCARNING is a fertile parish, extending from 1 to 3½ miles westward from East Dereham, on the Swaffham road, and having many scattered houses, 613 inhabitants, and 3,870 acres of land, partly belonging to Edwd Lombe, Esq., the lord of the manor, which is subject to arbitrary fines, and has a court baron yearly. The commons were enclosed in 1765 and 1811, except a small one for the use of the poor.

The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, has a massive tower, and an excellent peal of five bells. In the interior are several neat mural monuments. The living, valued in the King's Book at £9. 0s. 2d., and in 1831, at £401, is both rectorial and vicarial; the Rev. Philip Du Val Aufrere, the incumbent, having half of the rectorial tithes, and the patron, Edward Lombe, Esq., being impropriator of the other moiety.

The Free School was founded by Wm. Secker, who endowed it in 1604, with about 86A. of land, to which 16A. 2R. 3P. was allotted at the enclosure, in 1766. The master occupies the large house and garden, left by the founder, and also about 12A. of the land. The other 90 acres are let for £164 a year, out of which the master receives a salary of £80, and £5 a year to provide stationery for the poorer scholars. The residue is applied as a fund for repairing the premises, and providing for the arbitrary fines levied on the copyhold lands, on the admission of new trustees. The schoolmaster teaches reading, writing, arithmetic, and geography, without any charge, to all the children of the parish, above the age of 5 years, who are sent to him, and has generally about 50 pupils.

The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1766, is 14A., on which the poor cut furze, and feed geese and cattle. The old Poor's Lands, comprise about 6A., near Spoon Bridge, let for £5; and the Whitebread Meadow, also about 6A., let for £10 a year. The rents are distributed in doles of bread, together with a yearly rent-charge of 6s., left by one Burroughes.

	Aufrere   Rev Philip Du Val  incbt
	Cole      John               wheelwright & blacksmith
	Creed     Edmd.              shopkr. & parish clerk
	Cross     Geo.               carpenter and beer-seller
	Girling   Rev William
	Hazel     Wm.                beerhouse
	Riches    Robt.              master of Free school
	Tuck      Susan              vict. Black Horse


	Allison   Robert             Riches   Wm.
	Bayes     Mary               Rosher   Samuel
	Coleman   Maria              Sharman  Ptr. Jno.
	Cordy     Mrs.               Taylor   Robert
	Goldsmith Thos.              Warner   James
	Hastings  John               Wilson   William, Manor house

See also the Scarning parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2008