Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Saxlingham Thorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

SAXLINGHAM-THORPE, near the river Tas, 7½ miles S. of Norwich, has in its parish 131 souls, and 456A. of land. The Rev. J.H. Steward is lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to Robt. Fellowes, Esq.

The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is an ivy-clad ruin, being dilapidated long before 1740, when the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., was consolidated with that of Saxlingham-Nethergate.

Here is a small Baptist Chapel, built about 1818.

DIRECTORY:-

	Barnham    Thos.          carpenter
	Brock      Philip         grocer
	Bush       Barnaby        wheelwright
	Candler    Lawrence
	             and Horatio  corn millers
	Clark      Rev. Wm.       Bapt. min.
	Emerson    Wm.            gent.
	Muskett    G.F.           tailor
	Stevenson  Adam           blacksmith [see note below]
	Thrower    Wm.            beer seller
	Williamson Wm.            blacksmith [see note below]

	   farmers

	Appleton   John
	Curtis     John
	Giles      Thos.
	Meek       Wm.
	Sallitt    Matthew        (owner)
	Reader     William


Note. In the original this is:
     Adam Stevenson, and Wm. Williamson, blacksmiths;
See also the Saxlingham Thorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2007