RYBURGH MAGNA, a large village on the western bank of the Wensum, 4 miles S.E. of Fakenham, has a station on the Wells branch of the Great Eastern Railway. It is in Walsingham union and county court district, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Toftrees rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 693 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1170 acres, and has a rateable value of £4327.
The parish belongs to Frederick Augustus Morse Boycott, Esq., of Sennoweville, Bushey Heath, Herts, who owns the soil and is lord of the manor and proprietor of Sennowe Lodge and Ryburgh manor-house, the latter of which is situated in the village, and the former about two miles south.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a perfect cruciform structure of the 15th century, except the western tower, which is of the late Engle [sic] period. It comprises nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and round tower with octagonal belfry. It contains a good organ, and was thoroughly restored in 1860, and furnished with handsome open benches, pulpit, and reading desk of carved oak, at a cost of £1100. The handsome brass eagle lectern was erected in 1876 by Mrs. W. Tatham as a memorial of her late husband, W. Tatham, Esq. The east window has been filled with beautiful stained glass, and the open timber roofs enriched with colouring and gilding.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14 6s. 10d., and now at £620, with the vicarage of Ryburgh Parva annexed, is in the patronage of C.M. Tatham, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. George Edmund Tatham, M.A., who has here a spacious residence, erected in 1824, and 270 acres of glebe, allotted at the enclosure in 1808 in lieu of tithes.
The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1882 on a site given by Mr. Bell.
Here is a National School, attended by 100 children.
The Fuel Allotment, 29A. 13P., is let for £13 4s., and the Church Land, 8A. 2R. 3P., is let for £15 6s. a year.
POST and TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Mr. T. Richardson's. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m. and 3.40 p.m., and are despatched at 3.40 p.m. and 6.15 p.m. viâ Fakenham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Barker Arthur clerk Barrett Robert George tailor Bell Mrs Elizabeth Bell John farmer Bell Philip blacksmith Brown Henry bootmaker Colman James beerhouse Colman Philip vict. Crown Cooper Thomas manager Curson James bricklayer Drewell George W. G.E. stationmaster Everitt Isaac, Esq. J.P. Manor house Eyre George grocer and draper Forsdick John gamekeeper Gray Miss Ellen schoolmistress Green Robert farmer Hill William Tooley farmer Howe George parish clerk Howe Richard butcher & beerhouse Hutchinson George bootmaker Male Alfred joiner and carpenter Mesney Michael coal and general merchant Oughton William shopkeeper and coal merchant Rawling Wilson horse dealer Richardson Mrs Bessie grocer, draper and postmaster Rush Frederick victualler, The Blue Boar Salisbury William manager Smith Charles butcher and farmer Smith Mrs Annie maltster, miller, merchant and farmer; and Ryburgh Parva, Stibbard, Gateley, Guist, Dereham and Wells Smith Mrs George farmer Southgate Robert farmer Tatham Rev. Geo. Edmund, M.A. rector, The Rectory Watson John pork butcher Woods William grocer, drug dealer and bootmakerRAILWAY, G.E. station, J. Butters, stationmaster
Copyright © Pat Newby.