RYBURGH MAGNA, a large village on the western bank of the Wensum, 4 miles S.E. of Fakenham, has in its parish 521 souls, and 1,488 acres of land. Edmond Wodehouse, Esq., M.P., of Thorpe, near Norwich, is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil; and also of Sennowe Lodge, a neat white mansion, embowered in plantations, and overlooking a long reach of the Wensum, 2 miles S. of the village, and 3 miles W. of Foulsham. Ryburgh Hall, a small mansion in the village, is the seat of Lieut. Colonel Hugh Fitz-Roy, who owns about one-third of the parish.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) has a modern stained glass window, and a tower, round at the base, and octangular above. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14 6s. 10d., and in 1831 at £582, with the vicarage of Ryburgh Parva annexed to it, in the gift of E. Wodehouse, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Ray Clayton.
At the enclosure, in 1808, 270 acres were allotted in lieu of tithes, and 29A. 13P. to the poor for fuel. At the same time, the Church Land was exchanged for 8A. 2R. 3P.
Ainger Luke beerseller Bell Samuel blacksmith Clayton Rev. William Ray rector Curties Sir Thomas H., Kt. Sennowe Lodge (1833.) Flaxman Saml. druggist & schoolr. Fitz-Roy Lieut.-Col. Hugh Hall Howell Henry baker Howell William butcher Mays John miller McGregor Mr. Robt. Mesney Michael grocer & draper Nichols John joiner, & vict., Crown Platten John tailor, & vict., Blue Boar Plowright N.J. corn miller Pratt John shoemaker & shopkeeper Priest Rev. Edward, B.A. curate Richardson Thomas grocer & draper Southgate Robert wheelwright Woods William shoemaker FARMERS. Bell Martin Green John Boulter Money Page Levi Foster William Southgate Wm. Francis Benj. Jno. Wilson Sarah
Copyright © Pat Newby.