RUSTON, (EAST) or Riston, a large scattered village, 6 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, has in its parish 759 souls, and 2494A. of land, mostly arable. In 1810, about 300A. were allotted to the poor, who cut fuel, and pastured their cattle upon it. The rest belongs to a number of free and copy-holders. The Rev. F.W. Cubitt is lord of the manors of East Ruston and Burnells, and the Trustees of D.B. Scott, Esq., are lords of Kerdiston Netherhall. Here is also a rectorial manor, leased with the tithes.
The Church (St. Mary,) was re-pewed, and the north aisle rebuilt, in 1778. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £11.11s.10d., and annexed to the rectory of Ridlington, in the alternate patronage of Lady Wodehouse, and the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The latter are appropriators of the tithes, which are subject to the payment of only £13.6s.8d. to the vicar, and were commuted in 1841, for £941.5s. per annum. They are held on lease, with the Rectory manor by T.N. Keith and J.J. Blake, Esqrs.
East Ruston is distinguished as the birth-place of that truly eminent Greek scholar, RICHARD PORSON, M.A., who was born here in 1759, and was first initiated in letters by his father, then clerk of the parish. He was sent to Eton by the liberality of his patron, Mr. Norris, and afterwards to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was elected Fellow, in 1781, and proceeded to a master's degree in 1785. His acquisitions in Grecian literature were uncommonly extensive, as his criticisms and emendations of authors in that language clearly evince. In 1703 [?1803] he was unanimously chosen Greek Professor of the University. A short time before his death, which happened in 1808, he was appointed principal librarian to the London Institution.
Bates Samuel vict. Butchers' Arms Curtis Wm. tailor Dixon John vict. Fox and Hounds Hammond John wherry owner Hammond Joseph vict. chequers Humphrey John shopkeeper Scarland James corn miller Sims Robert wheelwright Turner John Rudd corn miller Youngman John grocer and draper Blacksmiths. Plummer John Riches Wm. FARMERS. (* are Yeomen.) Atthill Anthy. J. Nickolls Thomas *Bane Mary Pull John Barber Jonathan *Rudd Ash Barber Benjamin Short Robert Bates William Silcock Cubitt Obadiah Bell William Weeds Ann & E. Bowen John Whittleton Geo. Durrell John Whittleton Thos. Gaze Robert Whittleton Robt. Shoemakers. King Samuel Palmer Danial [sic] Riches Robert Salmon Robert Spanton George Wheelwrights. Bullimore Benj. Hewitt Stephen Plummer John (& parish clerk)
Copyright © Pat Newby.