RUNTON parish, on the sea-coast, from one to two miles W. of Cromer, is in Erpingham union, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The rateable value in 1881 was £1846 15s., and the gross estimated rental £2135 7s. 6d.
The parish comprises the small villages of East and West Runton, and had 506 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1245 acres of land, belonging to various owners, and lying in the manors of Runton-Hayes, Runton-Stubbe [sic], Beeston Regis and Priory, East Beckham, Felbrigg, Aylmerton, and Gresham. The devisees of the late W.H. Windham, Esq., are owners of the first, and Lady Durrant of the second. Sir T.F. Buxton, Bart., and B.B. Cabbell, and Thomas Wyndham Cremer, Esqs., are the principal landowners.
The CHURCH (Holy Trinity) stands on an acclivity above West Runton, and comprises nave with aisles, chancel, porch, and square tower with one bell. It was restored and refitted with open seats about 1854, and several of the windows were filled with beautiful stained glass. There are a fine piscina and sedilia in the chancel, and also a piscina at the east end of the south aisle. A lady has just (1883) presented a lectern.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is consolidated with that of Aylmerton. (See page 129 [which is the entry for Aylmerton].) The glebe here is 18A. 2R. 26P., and there are 2A. 1R. 2P. in the parish of Beeston Regis. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £245 per annum.
The school at East Runton is a spacious building in the Elizabethan style, and was built in 1858. It has a good house attached, and is supported by Sir T.F. Buxton, Bart.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. A reading-room was established here in 1877, and has forty members.
The Poor's Land, given by unknown donors, comprises about 10 acres, with a double cottage, in Runton, and 20A. 2R. 27P. in Holt and Letheringsett. The rents, amounting to £60 a year, are distributed in money and coal, together with 20s. from 1A. 1R. 32P. of land left by Robert Fraser in 1713; and £1 13s. from Hooke's charity, noticed with Beeston.
POST from Norwich, viâ Cromer, arrive at 8.45 a.m., and depart at 3 p.m.
Abbs David shoemkr. shopkpr. & fmr. Abbs Francis farmer * Abbs Francis parish sexton Abbs Matthew victualler, Boat Inn * Abbs Thomas farmer Bird Wm. carpntr. wheelwrt. blacksth. and horse and gig letter Buddrell Jas. vict. White Horse Inn, & fish curer, & mert. & horse & gig letter Burton Mrs Sabina lodgings Cooper James farmer; h Cromer * Edwards Samuel farmer Field Ellis farmer * Field Mr Ellis Field Nathl. farmer & coal &c. mert. at Cromer Gray James shopkeeper * Griffin Alfred farmer * Griffin John farmer Holman John carpenter & wheelwright * Ives Robert farmer Johnson Herbert Jarrett gentleman Kemp Jas. miller, overseer, & tax collcr. * Knowles Matthew farmer Limmer Miss Charlotte Elizabeth lodgings, Stone cottage Mills Rev. William Woodward, M.A. rector; h Aylmerton * Pank Mr Edmund William Pitcher Wm. National schoolmaster Potter John shopkeeper & postmaster Press Miss Ann lodgings * Skipper Mrs Martha Ann shopkeeper Slater William shoemaker Thain Benjamin blacksmith Wortley Roger James farmer, and brick, tile, &c. manufacturer Wright James farm bailiff
Copyright © Pat Newby.