RUNCTON (NORTH) is a pleasant village, 3 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn Norfolk rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 242 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2239 acres, and its rateable value is £2695.
The parish includes the hamlet of Hardwick, within one mile of Lynn, belonging to Lord Aveland. Thomas Whitaker, Esq., is lord of the manor of North Runcton with Hardwick and Setch, in which the copyholders pay arbitrary fines, and about 200 acres are unenclosed. Runcton Hall, a large white brick mansion, with a tower and small Doric portico, was rebuilt in 1834, at a cost of nearly £5000.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a neat cemented fabric, rebuilt, after the old one had been destroyed by the fall of the tower, in 1701. It has several inscriptions to the families of Rolle, Atwell, Hopes, and Cremer, who were formerly lords of the manor.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 10s., and now worth about £750 a year, with those of Hardwick and Setch annexed, is in the patronage of Francis Hay Gurney, and incumbency of the Rev. William Hay Gurney, M.A., who has 23 acres of glebe, and a good residence, rebuilt on a new site about 1862. The benefice was endowed in 1616 by the Rev. Thomas Hopes, with the Notley tithes (400 acres in Middleton), subject to yearly payments of 20s. fee-farm rent, £3 8s. 8d. to Trinity College, for a poor scholar from the Lynn Grammar School, and several small sums for charitable uses. These tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £99 18s.
The Rev. T. Hopes also bequeathed the rectory-house, with an acre of land attached to it; and out of the Notley tithes he left £3 8s. 8d. for the poor of this parish, who have also land, called the Round Pightle, let for 36s.; an acre divided into 12 gardens, let for 3s. 6d. each; and four old tenements, occupied by poor families, but the donors are unknown. The Church Land, 17A. 2R. 8P., is let for £22 12s. 6d. per annum.
Here is a NATIONAL SCHOOL, attended by 72 children.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Jas. Storey's. Letters arrive at 6.15 a.m. and are despatched at 5.20 p.m., viâ Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Alflate Edward bricklayer Batterbee Robt. farm bailiff, Hardwick Case James farmer Cooper Hugh beerhouse and farmer Durrant Edwin Elmer, Esq. J.P. Gamble William farmer, Manor farm Greenacre Henry farmer and carter Greenacre Robert farmer and carter Gurney Rev. William Hay, M.A. rectr Hill Francis farm bailiff, Hardwick Orton William schoolmaster Palgrave George farmer Richardson Anthony blacksmith Robertson Edward Penny farmer Robertson Mrs Sarah farmer Storey Charles farmer and dairyman Storey James grcr. crpntr. & postmstr Smith Rev. Hy. M.A. H.M. inspector of schools, Hardwick Wright Albert Daniel farmer Wright Thomas farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.