Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: North Runcton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

RUNCTON (NORTH) is a pleasant village, with several neat houses, 3 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, including in its parish 289 inhabitants, and 1,329 acres of enclosed land, of which, about 800 are in the hamlet of HARDWICK, where there are three farm-houses, and 23 inhabitants, within one mile of Lynn, belonging to Mrs. Hudson, of Tedworth Court, Surrey. Stephen Gee, Esq., of Hull, is lord of the manor of North Runcton, with Hardwick and Setch, in which the copyholders pay arbitrary fines, and about 200 acres are unenclosed.

RUNCTON HALL, a large white brick mansion, rebuilt in 1834, at the cost of nearly £5,000, is the handsome seat of Daniel Gurney, Esq.

The CHURCH, (All Saints,) is a neat cemented fabric, rebuilt, after the old one had been destroyed by the fall of the tower, in 1701. It has several inscriptions to the families of Rolle, Atwell, Hopes, and Cremer, who were formerly lords of the manor.

The rectory has annexed to it, the churchless parish of Setch, and is valued in the King's Book at £8 10s., but is now worth about £750 a year, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. James Cummings, M.A., F.R.S., professor of Chemistry at Cambridge University. Here are 15A. of glebe.

The benefice was endowed in 1616, by the Rev. Thomas Hopes, with the Notley tithes, (400 acres in Middleton,) subject to the yearly payments of 20s. fee-farm rent, £3 8s. 8d. to Trinity College, for a poor scholar from the Lynn Grammar School, and several small sums for charitable uses. These tithes have been commuted for the yearly rent of £99 18s.

The Rev. T. Hopes also bequeathed the Rectory House, with an acre of land attached to it, and out of the Notley tithes he left £3 8s. 8d. for the poor of this parish; who have also land, called the Round Pightle, let for 36s.; an acre divided into 12 gardens, let for 3s. 6d. each; and four old tenements, occupied by poor families, but the donors are unknown. The Church Land, 17A. 2R. 8P. is let for £22 12s. 6d. per annum.

	Allflat   Edward            bricklayer
	Bell      Miss Elizabeth
	Bulman    Mary              schoolmistress
	Chapman   William           blacksmith
	Cooper    Nicholas          beer house keeper
	Cooper    Hugh              shoemaker
	Greenacre Robt. & Wm.       cart owners
	Gurney    Daniel, Esq.      Runcton Hall
	Harper    Wm.               gardener, Hardwick
	Hulton    Francis, Esq.
	Locke     Rev. Charles
	            Courtney, M.A.  curate
	Orton     Wm.               National schoolmaster
	Secker    Robert            farm-steward to Mrs. Hudson, Hardwick
	Storey    James             joiner & parish clerk


	Bull      Richard           McPherson Donald, Hardwick
	Cooper    Nicholas          Smith     George
	Greenacre Mrs.              Wright    Thomas

See also the North Runcton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2009