Norfolk: Runcton Holme
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
HOLME-NEXT-RUNCTON is a small dispersed village, in the marshy grounds
between the river Ouse and South Runcton, 4 miles N. of Downham. Its
parish has 288 inhabitants, and 1,017A. of land, mostly the property of
Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes, and the Execs. of the late Robt. Peel, Esq.; the
latter of whom are lords of the manor, and patrons of the CHURCH, (St.
James,) which is a small thatched fabric, and is a rectory, valued in the
King's Book at £9 19s. 2d., and consolidated with South Runcton and
Wallington. The church has recently been new roofed and repewed. The
united rectories were valued in 1831 at £595 per annum, and are enjoyed by
the Rev. Jno. Fras. Edwards. The Church Land, 1A. 12P., is let for
A close of 2½A., let for £6, was left for poor widows, by Eliz.
Hewitt, in 1705. The poor have the interest of £10, left by Thomas
Towers, in 1728; and an annuity of £4, left by Thos. Taylor,
out of land at South Runcton.
Edwards Rev. John Fras., M.A. rector and rural dean
Capp John vict., Gate
Cambridge Wm. & Fdk.
Note: the format of the directory has been changed.
See also the Runcton Holme parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.