A small brook, which runs through the village, gives rise to the river Wensum. The soil belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley, the Marquis of Townshend, and Mr. M. Dawson; and lies in the manors of Houghton, Castleacre, and Northall or St. Faith's.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) has a nave, south aisle, chancel, and a low square tower with three bells. The chancel contains a piscina and a harmonium. A chapel dedicated to All Saints was standing in the churchyard in 1493. The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7 6s. 8d., is now consolidated with that of East Rudham.
Here is a chapel belonging to the New Connexion Methodists, built in 1864.
WALL LETTER-BOX cleared at 4.45 p.m., and on Sundays at 10.10 a.m., via Swaffham. Money Order Office at East Rudham. East Rudham Railway Station is about two miles from this parish.
Armes William beerhouse & butcher Barrett William farmer & bricklayer Dann John shopkeeper and carrier Dawson Moses farmer Freuer Wm. agent for the Marquis of Cholmondeley, and valuer Howard Henry gardener Howitt Mrs Mary grocer and draper Jackson Frederick wheelwright Morton John farmer, The Hall Parker Robert tailor Payne Samuel blacksmith Powell Richard blacksmith Royston Wm. Drage frmr. Grove hs Savory Edmund farmer, Grange Toll John victualler, Duke's HeadCARRIER - J. Dann, to Lynn, Tues. Thurs. and Sat.
See also the West Rudham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.