East Rudham has increased its population since 1801, from 572 to 994 souls, and has in its parish 3,903A. 2R. 10P. of land, but only 3,779 acres are assessable. Most of it belongs to Lord Charles Townshend, the lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (St Mary,) which has a low embattled tower, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 6s. 8d., and united with the vicarage of West Rudham, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Bland. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £407. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1839, at £560 per annum to the incumbent, and £995 to the impropriator.
The Fuel Allotment, 20A., was awarded in 1821; and the poor have £5 a year, from Lady Berkeley's charity, left in 1617.
Bland Rev. Thomas Rectory Bower J.W. veterinary surgeon Bridges John blacksmith, Coxford Defew George saddler Drage John grocer, draper, chandler, and seed and spirit merchant Everitt Edward plumber & glazier Frost Hy. parish clerk & schoolmr. Jackson John joiner and builder Kitton Robert grocer and draper Manby Edward & Fredk. surgeons Mays William vict., Crown Inn Page William carpenter and victualler, White Horse Rathborn Mrs. Ann Raven John miller Rowle Thos. joiner & cabinet maker Rye William vict., Ranger, Coxford Sampson William saddler Tipple William plumber, &c. Upjohn Francis Robert surgeon and registrar Smith Wright Richard tinner, &c. Bakers. FARMERS. Barker George Billing John, Coxford Glasswell John Freeman John Raven J. (miller) Stedman John Rolling William Beer Houses. Shoemakers. Kendall Philip Green Charles Powell Sarah Sillis William Stapleton John Tipple John Toll John Blacksmiths. Tailors. Kendall John Mason Henry Newell Henry Parker Edward Powell Thomas Riches Thomas Butchers. Franks Robert Pitcher Ward Sayer Robert Swallow Shadh.POST OFFICE at the Crown Inn. Letters from Rougham daily.
CARRIERS to Norwich, &c., calling at the Inns.
See also the East Rudham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.