Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Roughton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright Juanita Hadwin]

ROUGHTON, 4 miles S. of Cromer, and 6 miles N. by E. of Aylsham, in Erpingham union, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 439 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1740 acres, and has a rateable value of about 2000. The parish includes 371 acres of open heath, on which the parishioners cut fuel. Lord Suffield owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor. A market is held every Wednesday at the New Inn for the sale of pigs, poultry, &c.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) is of Norman architecture, and comprises nave with aisles, north and south porches, chancel, and round embattled tower with three bells. It was restored, and reseated with open benches in 1864 at a cost of 800; a heating apparatus was put in at a cost of 90 in 1882.

The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at 6, has 35 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of 293. The Bishop of Norwich is patron of the living, and the Rev. Robert Trousdale, B.A., is the incumbent, and resides in the rectory, built about 1870.

Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel.

The Free School was founded by the Rev. Robert Brown in 1694, and has an endowment of 45 per annum. The trustees are Lord Suffield, the Bishop of Norwich, and the rector of Roughton. The School Lands comprise about 45 acres.

The poor parishioners have 11 a year from 7A. 1R. 4P. of land, purchased with 65 left by the Rev. Robert Brown in 1694, and two annuities of 40s. left by Mary Hogan and Marmaduke Tenant, out of land at Hanworth and Braughin (sic). The parish clerk has an acre of land, left by the before-named Rev. Robert Brown.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Edmund Skipper's. Letters, viâ Norwich, are received at 6.40 a.m., and depart at 4.20 p.m. on week days, and 4 p.m. on Sundays. Hanworth is the nearest Money Order Office.

	BISHOP    Misses         school teachers
	BRAND     John           market gardener
	CALLOW    Michael John   farmer; h North Repps
	CURSON    Elijah         farmer; h Sth. Repps
	DENNEY    Mrs Mary       frmr. Grove farm
	FOX       Robert         blacksmith
	HARVEY    Edward         miller and farmer
	HEWITT    James          shoemaker
	HEWITT    Robert         parish clerk
	KNIGHTS   Richard        shoemaker
	LARWOOD   Walter William carpenter
	LE NEVE   Sutton         frmr. & at Hanworth
	LE NEVE   William        farmer, and Hanworth; h Tunstead
	PLUMMER   James          grocer and draper
	PLUMBLY   Geo.           farmer; h South Repps
	REYNOLDS  Joshua         farmer
	SKIPPER   Edmund         vict. New Inn, and whsle. & retail wine
	                           & spirit mert. & cigar imprtr. frmr.
	                           & postmaster
	TROUSDALE Rev. Robert,
	            B.A.         rector, Rectory
	WOODHOUSE Hy.            farm steward, Hill frm
COACHES pass through daily during the summer from Norwich to Cromer
See also the Roughton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright Pat Newby.
July 2002