The Church (St. Mary,) has a round embattled tower, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now having 29A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £96, awarded in lieu of small tithes, in 1839, when the great tithes were commuted for £197 per annum. The latter are held by Lord Suffield of the Bishop of Ely, the patron of the living, which is now enjoyed by the Rev. Fleetwood Churchill.
Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The FREE SCHOOL, now conducted on the national system, was founded by the Rev. Robt. Brown, in 1694, and the master now derives about £45 a year from the school property, exclusive of the use of the dwelling-house, and about five acres of land. He teaches, as free scholars, all the boys and girls of the parish, sent to him for instruction. Since his appointment in 1827, he has laid out upwards of £200 in repairing the school premises. The school lands comprise about 45 acres, lying in many parcels much intermixed with other property. The lord of the manor, and the churchwardens and overseers, are the trustees.
The poor parishioners have £6. 6s. a year, from 7A. 1R. 4P. of land, purchased with £65 left by the Rev. Robt. Brown, in 1694, and two annuities of 40s. left by Mary Hogan and Marmaduke Tenant, out of land at Hanworth and Broughing (sic). The parish clerk has an acre of land, left by the before-named Rev. Robt. Brown.
Amos Wm. parish clerk Coe Thomas gardener Fox Henry blacksmith Hewitt Robert wheelwright Horner Elizabeth cooper Knights Edmund shoemaker Wenn John vict. New Inn Williams Rev. James A. curate Wortley Leonard free schoolmr. Corn Millers. Joy Robert B. Tower mill Melton James FARMERS. Amos Lee Denny Joshua Denny J. jun Hust Samuel Joy Robt. B. (& owner) Knights Charles Sutton Stephen Shopkeepers. Hayne Mary Temple Robert Ward Charles
Copyright © Pat Newby.