Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Rougham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

ROUGHAM is a small village, 14 miles E. of Lynn, and 8 miles N. of Swaffham. It is in Mitford union, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 389 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2627 acres. The rateable value was £3784.

Its parish belongs to Charles North, Esq., whose ancestors were formerly seated here in a handsome Hall, of which nothing now remains but some of the foundation walls, in a park studded with many stately trees. Of this family was the eminent Lord Chief Justice North; and here was also seated a branch of the Yelvertons, afterwards Earls of Sussex, one of whom was Sir William Yelverton, Lord Chief Justice in the reign of Elizabeth.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, vestry, and tower, containing a handsome clock with three dials, given by Miss North in 1851. The north transept, being in a ruinous condition, was pulled down when the chancel was restored in 1878, and the window placed in the new vestry. Here are several fine brasses, and a tablet to the memory of the Hon. Roger North. Over the west door, under a canopy, is a mutilated carving of the Crucifixion.

The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £1 8s. 6½d., and augmented in 1762-7 with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, is in the patronage of the Queen, and the incumbency of the Rev. Molyneux Sheffield Crampton Fitzhardinge Hardinge, who has a yearly rent-charge of £255. The vicar resides at Norwich. The parsonage was built in 1847.

The rectorial tithes belong to the owner of the soil, and the parish is entitled to send two boys to the school at Massingham.

POST, MONEY ORDER, SAVINGS BANK and TELEGRAPH OFFICE, at Mrs. Catherine Thomas Thomas'. Letters arrive at 5.30 a.m., and delivered at 7 a.m. Box closes at 7 p.m.; despatched at 7.20 p.m., per mail cart from Swaffham. Little Massingham is the nearest Railway Station.

	BARNES    Mrs Ann            shopkeeper
	BATTERBEE Mrs Frances        shopkeeper
	BUNFIELD  Charles            dealer
	CHAPMAN   James              blacksmith
	CHILVERS  George             blacksmith
	DENNIS    George             shoemaker
	FORSTER   Alfred Wharton     farmer and victualler, Crown
	FROST     George             shopkeeper
	HEAD      John               pork butcher
	HILTON    C.                 higgler & carrier to Lynn
	HOWELL    Charles            shopkeeper, higgler, and carrier
	NORTH     Charles, Esq.,
	            M.A., D.L., J.P. Rougham hall
	RINGER    Horace Lock &
	            Herbert Everett  farmers
	SCULPHER  James              farmer
	SCULPHER  Jas. Thos.         frmr. Viper wood
	SCULPHER  Geo. Dennis        boot & shoe mkr
	SKIPPER   Edward             assistant overseer
	THOMAS    Alfred Benjamin    butcher and parish clerk
	THOMAS    Mrs Catherine
	            Thomas           stationer, Post office

From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

The Rev. W.B. Weighall is now the vicar.


See also the Rougham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2002