[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ROCKLAND ST. PETER is a parish of scattered houses, 5½ miles S.E. of Watton, and 4 miles W.N.W. of Attleborough, containing 392 souls, and 999 acres of land, of which about 200 acres, with the church, are in Shropham Hundred. Sir E.B. Smijth [sic], Bart., is lord of the manors of Kirkehall, Maynes, and Garneys, and owns 431A. 19P. of the soil, which is generally a light sand.
The Church has a long thatched nave, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 16s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £260, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Bird, B.A. The glebe is 22A. 3R. 22P.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
The Fuel Allotment, 15A. 34P., awarded in 1814, is let for £13. Here is also 2A. 26P. of old poor's land.
Allen Rt. tailor [see note below] Allen Edw. shoemkr. [see note below] Barham John ironfounder, &c. Bird Rev Henry, B.A. rector Brett Geo. shoemkr. [see note below] Brett Saml. tailor [see note below] Cable John baker Frost Thomas butcher Lane Benjamin vict. Magpie Muskett Mr Benjamin Standley James shopr. and smith FARMERS. (* are owners.) * Bowers Henry * Kent James, Bowles John (and bricklayer) Colman Timothy, * Muskett Zach. (and miller) * Notson Jtn. Colman Wm. Osborn John Davey Wm. * Phillips John Dunnett Jerh. Sparkhall Isaac * Fielding John * Turner James
Carrier, J. Notson to Norwich, Fri.
Note: in the original these are
Allen Rt. tailor; and Edw. shoemkr.
Brett Geo. shoemkr. & Saml. tailor
See also the Rockland St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.