[Transcription copyright © Pamela Littlefair]
ROCKLAND (ALL SAINTS and ST. ANDREW,) are two adjoining parishes, with a scattered village (chiefly cottages,) distant 4 miles W. of Attleborough, and extending into Rockland St. Peter's. (See page 366 [which is the entry for Rockland St Peter].) All Saints has 352 souls, and 916 acres; and St. Andrews has 124 souls and 669 acres. Wayland Union Workhouse is in the former parish, as noticed at page 362 [which is the entry for Wayland Hundred]. The Rev. Sir E.B. Smyth, Bart., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manors of Kirkhall, Moynes, and Gurneys, in Rockland Tofts, and Carbonels, in Rockland.
St. Andrew's church was dilapidated when Blomefield wrote, and the benefice consolidated with All Saints' Church, a small fabric, with a square tower and three bells. The discharged and consolidated rectories of All Saints and St. Andrew are valued in the King's Book at £10. 19s. 4d., and in 1831, at £1025 per annum, with that of Caston annexed to them. The Rev. B. Barker, of Shipdham, is patron and incumbent. Rockland gives name to a Deanery, as noticed at page 410 [which is the entry for Shropham Hundred].
The Fuel Allotment, 26A. 2R. 35P, was awarded to the poor of the two parishes in 1814, and is let for £15. Two cottages and 3 roods of land were given to the poor by an unknown donor.
In the following DIRECTORY, those marked 1 are in All Saints'; 2, in St. Andrew's, and 3, in St. Peter's parish.
1 Allen Edward leather cutter 3 Baraham John gunsmith 2 Brown Stephen wheelwright 1 Chapman James blacksmith 1 Dunthorne Wm. baker 2 Mann Frmn.[sic] vict. White Hart 1 Rout John shopkeeper 2 Sayer Thomas corn miller 3 Stanley John beerhouse 2 Wilkins Thomas beerhouse FARMERS 1 Barnard Benj. 1 Greengrass Geo. 2 Brown Edwd. 1 Houchen Robt. 1 Buckenham W. 1 Leeder Robert 2 Colman Robt. 2 Mann Joseph 2 Colman Wm. 1 Towler Jane 2 Denew John 1 Whiting James 1 Fielding Wm.
CARRIER. John Bowen, to Norwich, Wed. and Caston, Sat
See also the Rockland All Saints with St Andrew and the Rockland St Peter parish pages.
Copyright © Pat Newby.