RINGSTEAD (GREAT) is a pleasant village, in a fertile valley, 2 miles S.E. of Hunstanton, and 8 miles W. by S. of Burnham Market, in Docking union, Lynn county court district and bankruptcy district, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Smithdon hundred, Heacham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 458 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2675 acres, and has a rateable value of £3277. Most of the parish belongs to Hamon Styleman le Strange, Esq., the lord of the manor and patron of the living.
Here were formerly two CHURCHES (St. Peter and St. Andrew), but the former was taken down in 1771, except its circular tower, and the materials were used in repairing St. Andrew's. St. Andrew's church comprises nave, south porch, chancel and square tower with one bell, and a clock; and was originally of Decorated architecture, but all the windows are Perpendicular insertions. There is a fine Decorated piscina with a lateral opening in the chancel, and at the south-west end of the nave there is another but plainer one. The building was thoroughly restored, refitted with open benches, and enlarged by the addition of a north aisle, in 1864, at a cost of about £1800.
Here are marble tablets of the Styleman, North and Fysh families.
The two discharged rectories were consolidated in 1771, and were valued in the King's Book at £20.6s.8d., but are now worth £630 a year. The Rev. Wm. Law Hussey, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a good residence, which was enlarged in 1840.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel containing 140 sittings, and erected in 1867 at a cost of £300.
The National School, a neat Gothic building, erected in 1852, is attended by 100 children and supported by subscription.
The Fuel Allotment, 53A. 1R. 18P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1782, and is let for £25 a year. The poor have also the following yearly doles, viz.:- 10s. left by the Rev. Timothy Swift in 1719; 28s. 6d. from £28 10s. left by L. Hockwell and other donors; and 20s. left by Mr. Reed.
POST OFFICE at Mr. A. Wales's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. and are despatched, via Lynn, at 5 p.m. Hunstanton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bartaby Christmas crpntr. & whlwrt Bond Saml. butcher, & at Hunstanton Burlingham Thomas butcher Clark William victualler, Compasses Inn, and brewer Crane John corn miller and farmer Dodman Thomas beerhouse, grocer, and ironmonger Dowdy William bootmaker Gathercole William blacksmith Hall George blacksmith Howlett Miss Maria Ringstead lodge Hussey Rev. William Law rector, The Rectory Jarrett Mrs Harriet baker Kitton Thomas Beck farmer Lewis Henry farmer Margetts Stephen farmer Robertson George Wilby farmer Smith John carrier Wales Arthur grocer, draper and postmaster Warton Leonard Walter farmer, Courtyard farm Wilson Frederick farmer Wilson George farmer Wilson Mr. John Wright Mr Frederick Rose cottageCARRIER - John Smith, to Lynn, Tues. Thurs. and Sat.
Copyright © Pat Newby.